2 PhD student positions, University of Alaska

2 PhD student positions, University of Alaska

Regine Hock
2 PhD student positions in remote sensing/mass balance modeling in Alaska

The Geophysical Institute of the University of Alaska Fairbanks is seeking two PhD students to develop a regional-scale assessment of the mass balance of all Alaska/Yukon glaciers and their contribution to sea-level rise. The project aims to assess surface mass balances using regional-scale modeling, and dynamic mass changes using velocity fields from repeat SAR remote sensing. Comparison to airborne laser-altimetry and satellite gravimetry (GRACE) results will be used for model validation and calibration. One student will focus on the surface mass balance while the other student will address the dynamic component of mass loss (iceberg calving), however we anticipate overlap and collaboration between the two project components. The students will have opportunities for national and international research and collaboration.

We seek motivated candidates with a degree in geosciences, physics, mathematics, engineering or related fields. A MSc degree with experience in remote sensing, GIS, glaciology, programming and/or modeling is desirable. Good oral and written communication skills are a prerequisite.

Employment will start by the earliest possible date, but no later than the fall semester (Sept. 2011). For more information and details on how to apply see our webpage (http://glaciers.gi.alaska.edu/opportunities#phd).
The University of Alaska is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and educational institute.

For further information please contact:
Matthias Braun, [hidden email]
Regine Hock, [hidden email]
Anthony Arendt,   [hidden email]