2 x Chairs in Data Analytics and Environmental Sensing at Lancaster University, UK

2 x Chairs in Data Analytics and Environmental Sensing at Lancaster University, UK

Leeson, Amber
Dear All,

Lancaster University are currently recruiting to two Chairs (Professorial level) in Environmental Data Analytics and Environmental Sensing. The posts will provide leadership for the new Centre of Excellence in Environmental Data Science, an exciting joint venture between Lancaster University and the NERC Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH). Our goal is to secure our reputation as a world leading, cross-disciplinary research centre addressing global environmental challenges through methodological advances in data science. This builds on existing strengths across the two institutions in data science, environmental sciences and in managing and providing national capability in the form of data and modelling. As an indication of the scale of activity in this area, based on the Lancaster University campus are 80 academic staff (including 20 professors) in LEC, 100 staff in CEH Lancaster and over 100 members of the Data Science Institute (DSI) who are working within a collaborative environment that is producing research outputs of the highest international quality that have significant real-world impacts.

We welcome applications to the Chair in Environmental Data Analytics from those with leading expertise across this broad and emerging research field and may incorporate modern machine-learning approaches, data assimilation, ensembles, emulators, ‘big’ data methods, data mining and those with interests in uncertainty in environmental modelling. We are particularly interested in applicants that can shape this emerging field and exploit a range of data science methods and innovations to address key environmental grand challenges.

With regards to the Chair in Environmental Sensing, sensing is defined broadly incorporating the span of technologies from satellite Earth Observation through to in situ sensor networks, and the range of environmental applications from monitoring anthropogenically-produced change to quantifying fundamental environmental processes. We are particularly interested in applicants who operate at the interface of sensing and data science. Applicants with research interests related to environmental sensing of the hydrosphere including water resource management would be particularly encouraged to apply.

The University is partnering with the executive search firm Perrett Laver on this appointment. Further information, including details of how to apply, can be downloaded at https://candidates.perrettlaver.com quoting reference 3089. For informal inquiries please contact Yana Shevkirova on [hidden email] or +44 207 340 6208. The closing date for applications is midnight on Monday 31 July 2017.

Best wishes,

Amber Leeson

Dr Amber Leeson
Lecturer in Environmental Data Science

Lancaster Environment Centre / Data Science Institute