2017 AGU Session: Geophysical characterization of coupled cold regions hydrology and permafrost dynamics

2017 AGU Session: Geophysical characterization of coupled cold regions hydrology and permafrost dynamics

Andrew David Parsekian
We are pleased to announce the following session on geophysics in permafrost at AGU 2017 New Orleans and we hope that you will consider submitting an abstract.

Geophysical characterization of coupled cold regions hydrology and permafrost dynamics [ID#22537]
The cold regions of Earth are changing, with significant impacts on landscape-scale hydrological processes. Surface and airborne geophysical methods are increasingly used to observe these changes because of the contrasts in geophysical properties that exist between frozen and thawed ground, or between solid-ice features and liquid water. In permafrost regions, geophysical methods also offer insight into groundwater flow, surface-water/groundwater exchange dynamics, and post-fire changes to the hydrologic system. This session is open to ground or airborne geophysical studies that focus on scientific objectives such as the detection and delineation of ground ice or permafrost, evaluating sub- and suprapermafrost water flow, thermokarst evolution, and monitoring active layer dynamics. We will consider field-measured or modeled seismic, resistivity, ground-penetrating radar, gravity, magnetics, and other electromagnetic studies at any spatial scale. We also encourage multidisciplinary projects that incorporate geophysics with the impacts of frozen material change on cold-regions ecology and/or biochemistry.
As a reminder, submissions are due before midnight EDT on August 2nd.

Best,

Session Conveners
Andy Parsekian, University of Wyoming
Martin A Briggs, USGSBurke Minsley, USGSBaptiste Dafflon, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab