The SIO is an activity of the Sea Ice Prediction Network project (SIPN)
as a contribution to the Study of Environmental Arctic Change (SEARCH).
The goal of the SIO is to improve Arctic sea ice prediction on seasonal
The organizers thank the groups that contributed to the 2017 June, July,
and August reports. For August, 37 contributions for pan-Arctic extent
predictions were received with the median Arctic Outlook value for
September 2017 sea ice extent of 4.5 million square kilometers.
Nine of the 37 also contributed Alaska regional extent predictions and
10 also contributed for Antarctica. Additionally, two contributions for
Antarctica only and two descriptive regional contributions were received.
The August report includes:
- Analysis of the contributions;
- Comments on predicted spatial fields;
- Discussion of current conditions;
- Comments on the Alaska regional extent Outlooks;
- A discussion of pan-Antarctic contributions,
- Key statements from the 37 individual pan-Arctic Outlook; and
- Links to view or download full reports of the pan-Arctic Outlook,
pan-Antarctic Outlook, and regional Outlook contributions.
This is the third and final monthly SIO for the 2017 season.