2018 joint AMQUA-CANQUA conference

Denis Lacelle

Dear list moderator,

Could we please post this message on cryolist?

Dear colleagues,

The 2018 joint AMQUA-CANQUA conference will be held in Ottawa, Canada from Aug. 7-11 (https://www.quaternary2018.com/).

We would like to draw your attention to our session, 'Session S8. The Relict Permafrost Environment', and hope you will consider submitting an abstract. Registration and abstract submission is now open, and will close on May 7. Please see the conference website for more details.

Session Abstract:

Permafrost is a thermal condition of the ground, but also a relict feature, having formed sometime in the past. The persistence of cold ground temperatures for periods of hundreds to tens of thousands of years provides a remarkable opportunity to understand past environments from water isotopes and geochemical proxies, and ancient biomolecules along with plant, faunal and microbial records.  However, the nature and genesis of icy permafrost also influences the form and distribution of ground ice and thus terrain sensitivity to future climate change.  We invite submissions on all aspects of relict permafrost research aimed at reconstructing past environments, including preservation of proxies in icy permafrost, but also contributions that consider the influence of past environments on the occurrence and sensitivity of ground ice to disturbance.

We look forward to seeing you in Ottawa.

Trevor Porter, Denis Lacelle and Duane Froese

Denis Lacelle
Associate professor
Department of Geography
University of Ottawa