23 unsolved problems in Hydrology: cryospheric perspective

23 unsolved problems in Hydrology: cryospheric perspective

Melody Sandells-3
Dear Colleagues,

The International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS) have taken inspiration from the field of mathematics. Progress in hydrology is currently hampered by the rather fragmented research and we need stronger harmonisation of research efforts. At the beginning of the 20th Century, mathematician David Hilbert set out 23 unsolved mathematical problems which have greatly stimulated focused research in mathematics. IAHS asks:

What are the 23 unsolved problems in Hydrology that would revolutionise research in the 21st century?

23 questions will be selected following a discussion on the IAHS LinkedIn group. The International Commission on Snow and Ice Hydrology (ICSIH) would very much appreciate if you could contribute to the discussion and feel free to add your own questions too. The questions ICSIH have posted are:

Q1: How can small-scale variability of snow distribution be better represented in larger scale models, and what level of detail is needed for snowmelt runoff modelling?

Q2: How can we ensure that improved snowmelt models translate into improved capabilities to simulate streamflow from snowy watersheds?

We're looking forward to hearing what you think!

Dr Melody Sandells
Director, CORES Science and Engineering Limited
email: [hidden email]
phone: +44 1207 272836
website: www.coresscience.co.uk
Twitter: @mjsandells