2nd IceCube Polar Science Workshop (18-20 Jan 2021)

2nd IceCube Polar Science Workshop (18-20 Jan 2021)

T.J. Young
To the glaciologists of Cryolist,

The IceCube community is hosting a second Polar Science Workshop that will be held online. The main purposes of this workshop are to solicit a scan on research ideas regarding the planned upgrade of the IceCube Neutrino Observatory at South Pole, and to continue to promote exchange between our two fields of glaciology and neutrino astronomy. In particular, we hope seek input and proposals from the glaciology community on experiments and instrumentation complementary to the planned array of drilled boreholes as part of the IceCube neutrino array.

Date: 18th-20th of January 2021

Indico (registration and detailed infos): https://events.icecube.wisc.edu/event/128/

We would like to focus our attention on the following topics, but please let us know if you have additional fields of interest:

    *   Rapid Access Drilling (RAID) at the South Pole and the possibility of a long term open hole
    *   SPICEcore physical properties (in particular grain size, elongation, orientation and  fabric), expected hole lifetime and borehole logging
    *   Modeling of optical and radio propagation in birefringent polycrystals with crystal preferred orientation (CPO and COF)
    *   Glaciology instrumentation in the IceCube Upgrade and IceCube Gen2
    *   Data interests (both in terms of IceCube data (temperatures, images, ice analyses, ...) for glaciology, as well as glaciological data being interesting to the IceCube detector modelling)
    *   Drilling technology and logistics
    *   Bedrock morphology and characteristics
    *   Englacial heterogeneities and structures, layering architecture

Please feel free to forward this mail to any colleagues that might be interested in participating.
You are also welcome to submit talk abstracts by mail to polarscience2021@.... We may be reaching out to a couple of people for specific agenda items.
Best regards

Ilka Weikusat, TJ Young, Dave Besson & Martin Rongen

P.S. For those not familiar with IceCube, the most recent press release provides a good overview on the goals of IceCube as well as the aims of the planned upgrade.