AGU 2017: Arctic Coastal Dynamics: processes, rates, and spatial variability

AGU 2017: Arctic Coastal Dynamics: processes, rates, and spatial variability

Louise Farquharson

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to the following AGU 2017 Fall Meeting session in New Orleans, 11-15 December 2017:

C016: Arctic Coastal Dynamics: processes, rates, and spatial variability

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session24277

Please submit abstracts by Wednesday, 2 August 23:59 EDT

Session ID#: 24277

Session Description:

Arctic coasts are increasingly vulnerable to coastal erosion, storm-surge flooding, sea-level rise, and potential oil spills. This leads to negative impacts on wildlife habitat, subsistence hunting grounds, and coastal communities. The threats are likely to intensify in the future as temperatures warm and declining sea-ice extent leaves coastlines exposed for longer periods of time. A better understanding of coastal processes, their rates and their geographic variability is needed to assess the vulnerability of Arctic coasts and accurately project future change. We invite contributions from studies that improve our knowledge of Arctic coastal dynamics through remote sensing, time-series analysis, field surveys, and modelling. This includes studies that inform our baseline understanding of Arctic coastal systems or focus on new technologies and method development. We also welcome studies which demonstrate linkages to climate change, sea-ice decline, coastal hazards, ecosystem management, and oil-spill response.

Regards,

Louise Farquharson, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, United States

Ann Gibbs, USGS Santa Cruz CA, Santa Cruz, CA, United States

Nicole Kinsman, NOAA National Ocean Service, National Geodetic Survey, Anchorage, AK, United States,

Aart Kroon, University of Copenhagen, Department for Geosciences and Natural Resource Management, København K, Denmark