AGU 2017 - C024: Phase Dependent: Water, Ice and Vapor in Cryospheric Deserts

AGU 2017 - C024: Phase Dependent: Water, Ice and Vapor in Cryospheric Deserts

Neil Foley
Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to our new session entitled 'Phase Dependent: Water, Ice and Vapor in Cryospheric Deserts' at AGU December 11-15. We welcome a wide variety of abstracts and hope to stimulate discussion across disciplines.

Session ID#: 27123

Session Title: Phase Dependent: Water, Ice and Vapor in Cryospheric Deserts

Session Viewer Link: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session27123

Session Description:
In the Cryosphere, water commonly exists in and cycles between three phases: liquid water, ice, and water vapor. In nominally ‘dry’ settings – typical of polar deserts like Antarctica’s McMurdo Dry Valleys, high alpine permafrost regions like parts of the Himalaya and Hawaii’s Mauna Kea, and extraterrestrial targets like the crust of Mars – liquid water and/or water vapor are highly limited. Thus, the phase of water and the transition of water between phases plays a critical role on physical, chemical and biological processes. This session aims to explore how ground and surface water – as permafrost, glaciers, lakes, streams and vapor – affects the chemistry, biology and hydrology of ‘dry’ cyrospheric landscapes on Earth or extraterrestrial settings. We encourage abstracts that use field-observation, modeling or remotely sensed surveys to understand how water across its phases is vital to shaping these environments through space and time.
Primary Convener:  Neil Foley, University of California Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA, United States
Convener:  Jill Mikucki,University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, United States

Cross-Listed:
  • B - Biogeosciences
  • H - Hydrology
  • P - Planetary Sciences