AGU 2018: At the Front: Observations of Greenland’s Marine-Terminating Glaciers and the Processes They Reveal (Session C010)

AGU 2018: At the Front: Observations of Greenland’s Marine-Terminating Glaciers and the Processes They Reveal (Session C010)

Khazendar, Ala (334H)

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the AGU session described below, which focuses on marine-terminating glaciers and their fjords in Greenland and elsewhere. The session could be of interest to glaciologists, oceanographers, obsevationalists, modelers and engineers.

We look forward to seeing you in DC in December.

Best wishes,

Ala Khazendar and Ian Fenty

Jet Propulsion Laboratory

California Institute of Technology

Session ID: 52943

To submit an abstract: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/52943

Session description:

Fjords are where most of Greenland’s glaciers that drain the interior of the ice sheet end their journey. The interface between the fronts of these glaciers and the ocean water in their fjords is where mass, heat and salt are exchanged to an extent that has profound effects on the composition and circulation in the fjord and on the dynamics of the glaciers. Yet, these zones are some of the Cryosphere’s most difficult to reach and to observe. This session presents developments in the remote and in-situ observational techniques of the terminal zones of the glaciers and of the fjords, focusing on features such as submarine melting, ice-front undercutting, subglacial discharge, calving, fjord bathymetry and water properties, ice mélange and icebergs. Ultimately, of much interest, is how these observations inform our understanding of the processes that influence the dynamic evolution of the glaciers, their stability and contribution to sea-level change.

Ala Khazendar

Jet Propulsion Laboratory

M/S 300 - 319

4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109

Tel :  818 393 1581         Fax :  818 393 5184

ala.khazendar@jpl.nasa.gov