AGU 2018 Session C006: Advances in Subglacial, Englacial, and Supraglacial Hydrology

AGU 2018 Session C006: Advances in Subglacial, Englacial, and Supraglacial Hydrology

Moustafa, Samiah
Dear all,

We welcome submissions to our session “Advances in Subglacial, Englacial, and Supraglacial Hydrology” at the AGU Fall Meeting 2018, Washington D.C.  The topic of the session includes all aspects of the glacier hydrologic system.

The focus of the session is on modeling and/or observations of supraglacial, englacial, and/or subglacial water and its effects on ice flow, ice thermodynamics, mass balance, geomorphology, or other aspects of the earth system.

Session Title: Advances in Subglacial, Englacial, and Supraglacial Hydrology
Session Number: C006

Session Description:
This session explores the role of water under, in, and on top of glaciers and ice sheets, as well as how water affects ice dynamics, glacier mass balance, and geomorphology. Water is stored and transported through glaciers by supraglacial lakes and streams; flow and refreezing of water in snow; englacial crevasses, moulins, and incised channels; as well as subglacial drainage channels, cavities, saturated till, and frozen sediments. Interactions among these components shape glacial hydrologic systems that carry water from the surface to bed, modulate glacier velocities, redistribute glacier mass, and facilitate glacial erosion. Advances in our understanding of the variability in space and time of glacier hydrology inform the effort to predict how glacial systems respond to our changing climate. We invite contributions from all aspects of subglacial, englacial, and supraglacial hydrology and particularly welcome studies that focus on interactions between multiple components of the glacier hydrologic system.

Primary Section/Focus Group: Cryosphere

Abstract submission deadline is Wednesday, 1 August.

Thank you,

Colin Meyer (University of Oregon)
Kristin Poinar (University at Buffalo)
Samiah Moustafa (Brown University)

Samiah Moustafa, PhD
Visiting Assistant Professor
Institute at Brown for Environment and Society
Urban Environmental Laboratory Room 209
Phone: 401-863-5324