AGU 2018 Session NS001: Cryospheric Geophysics

AGU 2018 Session NS001: Cryospheric Geophysics

Atsuhiro Muto

Dear colleagues:

Apologies for clogging your inbox, but we would like to share an additional session that didn't make the previous Cryolist "summary" announcement.

We invite you to submit an abstract to “Advances and Revelations from Geophysical Exploration and Observation in the Cryosphere.” This session will bring together both basic and applied research on the frozen earth using a wide variety of geophysical methods and is co-organized between Near-Surface Geophysics, Cryosphere and Seismology sections. As a reminder, the deadline for all submissions is Wednesday, 1 August 23:59 EDT.

Thanks,

Stephanie James [USGS]

Dan McGrath [Colorado State University]

Atsuhiro Muto [Temple University]

Andy Parsekian [University of Wyoming]

Session ID: 49032

Session Title: NS001: Advances and Revelations from Geophysical Exploration and Observation in the Cryosphere

Session Description: High-elevation and high-latitude regions of our planet are responding rapidly to a changing climate, causing substantial impacts to Earth processes at all spatiotemporal scales. Many of the most pressing cryospheric research questions involve processes and/or structures in the interior or at the base of frozen Earth materials, and are therefore difficult to study directly. Advancements in instrumentation and processing approaches are rapidly improving our abilities to measure and understand glacier ice, sea ice, snow, and permafrost processes. In this session, we seek submissions related to a broad range of ground and airborne geophysical methods (e.g. ground penetrating radar, electrical resistivity, nuclear magnetic resonance, electromagnetic, seismic, gravity etc.) applied to solve cryospheric problems. Studies aimed at the characterization, detection, and/or monitoring of cold region environments using geophysical field and/or modeling methodologies are welcome. Multidisciplinary topics, innovative approaches, and research combining geophysical methods with geomodels are particularly encouraged.

Abstract submission information: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/49032

For the first time, the AGU Fall Meeting will be held in Washington, D.C., where we will mark the launch AGU’s Centennial.  A wide variety of events are being planned that will take advantage of this special location that will showcase our science to the U.S. and international policy community, students, and public); leverage the local scientific community, including events with the Smithsonian, National Academies, and others; and, offer field trips to view the local geology and research institutes. The Fall Meeting will also offer more workshops as well as new Tutorial sessions to help students and researchers learn about new approaches and techniques and introduce exciting science in other disciplines.

Additional information, including everything you need to know about abstract submission is here: https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/.  Please consider submitting an abstract and/or attending to help show “What Science Stands For” and to join in an exciting and informative start to AGU’s Centennial. Submissions received by the early deadline of 25 July have a chance to win a $100 US gift card.