AGU 2019 - C032. Recent Advances in Monitoring, Measuring, and Modeling Snow Processes

AGU 2019 - C032. Recent Advances in Monitoring, Measuring, and Modeling Snow Processes

Andrew Hedrick

Dear Snow Community,

As everyone knows, the 2019 AGU Fall Meeting is just a few months away and that means we’re in the midst of session advertisement season. If your research aligns directly or peripherally with seasonal snow, please consider submitting your abstract to this year’s edition of our session. Details below.

C032. Recent Advances in Monitoring, Measuring, and Modeling Snow Processes

The storage and modulated release of water from seasonal snowcover are major components of hydrologic systems in many parts of the world, particularly in mountainous and boreal areas. In these regions, the seasonal snowcover is a critical component of the annual water cycle, controlling soil moisture, soil temperature, streamflow, and the development and stability of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems. Because snow-dominated regions will be strongly affected by climate warming in the near future, we must advance our understanding of these systems. The session will focus on snowcover physical properties, patterns and dynamics, scaling, remote sensing, and developing measurement techniques.

On behalf of the conveners, See you all in San Francisco!

-Andrew Hedrick, Danny Marks, Scott Havens, and Ernesto Trujillo

Andrew Hedrick

Post Doctoral Research Hydrologist

USDA-ARS Northwest Watershed Research Center

Boise, Idaho, USA