AGU Dinner Meeting - Observational Requirements to Improve Ice Sheet Models

AGU Dinner Meeting - Observational Requirements to Improve Ice Sheet Models

Prasad Gogineni

Observational Requirements to Improve Ice Sheet Models

As a part of the NASA Operation Ice Bridge (OIB) mission, an extensive monitoring and measurement program is currently being carried out in both Antarctica and Greenland. The Center for Remote Sensing of Ice Sheets (CReSIS) plans to conduct two major field campaigns that include surface-based airborne measurements, and flight tests utilizing UAV technology under development at the University of Kansas. CReSIS also plans to conduct two additional field campaigns in Antarctica during the second phase of the Center. Extensive field campaigns are also being carried out by multiple international organizations. Coordination of these activities will result in much richer data sets for improving ice sheet models.

We at CReSIS think that measurements that complement and supplement the OIB data sets would be extremely valuable both to the CReSIS science team and the broader science community.  CReSIS has led the way in developing new technologies and techniques optimized for sounding and imaging ice sheet margins and outlet glaciers with extremely rough surfaces. We have already released bed maps for Jakobshavn, Helheim and Kangerdlugssuaq glaciers — https://www.cresis.ku.edu/data/Greenland. CReSIS measurements will likely be conducted from a Twin Otter aircraft, which can be used to obtain fine-resolution measurements over outlet glaciers.

At this time, we would like to solicit input from the broader science community for the purpose of identifying optimum targets that can help process studies and the development of ice sheet models.  For this reason, we are hosting a two-hour dinner meeting to solicit community input. If you are available to attend, please inform Jenna Collins at [hidden email] of your plans, including a brief description of any short, 10-minute presentation you would like to make. This meeting will take place on Monday, December 13th from 6:00-8:00pm in Foothill G at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis.

We have a small amount of travel funds to support students or post-doctoral associates desiring to attend the meeting and participate in the discussions.

We plan to submit a short report to the National Science Foundation based on the results of the meeting.

With regards,

S. Prasad Gogineni

Deane E. Ackers Distinguished Professor

Director, Center for Remote Sensing of Ice Sheets