AGU Polar Science Communication Session

Ellyn Enderlin
Hi all,
If you are passionate about polar science communication, education, and/or outreach then we strongly encourage you to submit an abstract to our AGU Education Session (ED024): "Connecting the World to the Poles through Science Communication, Education and Outreach". We welcome presentations discussing: 1) science communication targeting both academic and non-academic audiences, 2) connections between polar research communities around the world, and 3) measures of evaluating science communication strategies. Our invited speakers, Dr. Alice Bradley and Julia Dooley, will be presenting on effective polar science communication strategies from last summer's APECS Polar SciComm Workshop and Polar Educators International as a legacy of the IPY, respectively.

As always, you can submit abstracts to both education and science sessions at the AGU Fall Meeting, so do not worry that you have to choose one! Feel free to contact Louise Huffman ([hidden email]) if you have questions about our session. We hope to see you in Washington, D.C. in December!

Your conveners,
Louise Huffman (Ice Drilling Program Office)
Ellyn Enderlin (University of Maine)
Diana Gergel (University of Washington Seattle)
Alex Thornton (Arctic Research Consortium of the US)

ED024 Abstract: Connecting the World to the Poles through Science Communication, Education and Outreach
Effective science communication is critical for dissemination of research outcomes to peers and the broader public, as changes occurring in the Earth’s polar regions impact people across the globe. Communicating knowledge of polar regions develops a deeper understanding among the broader public of the importance of polar regions to other parts of the world. This polar science session will highlight education, outreach and capacity building activities and science communication strategies that incorporate collaborations between researchers, educators, communicators and others across the globe engaged in cross-cultural polar science knowledge transfer. The session further recognizes that science communication is a skill and encourages presentations that share examples of successful implementation. We welcome presentations discussing: 1) science communication targeting both academic and non-academic audiences, 2) connections between polar research communities around the world, and 3) measures of evaluating science communication strategies.

--
Ellyn M Enderlin, PhD
Research Assistant Professor