AGU Session 26885 on Data Visualization (ED037)

AGU Session 26885 on Data Visualization (ED037)

Martin Pratt

We invite the community to submit  abstracts to the AGU 2017 Fall Meeting session “Sympathy for the Data: Novel approaches and advances in the art of data visualization”. We aim to bring together a diverse range of geoscientists to discuss best practices, different platforms, and emerging technologies being used and developed for data visualization. This year we are especially encouraging submissions related to virtual and augmented reality applications. The session  is listed in the Education section (and so doesn’t count towards the 1 submitted, 1 invited abstract limit for the AGU Fall Meeting), and is cross-listed with Public Affairs. This session is also being considered for alternate presentation formats.

Session Description: Representing data in a clear, concise and attractive manner is the primary tool scientists use to communicate their research at all levels. Insights into complex systems within Earth and planetary sciences often arise through the integration of highly varied, multidimensional, and ever-growing datasets. Advancement in the immersive technologies of virtual and augmented reality provide an accessible and exciting way to communicate complex data sets. Clear, interactive and intuitive visualization software and pedagogy aids scientists in sharing innovative research with their peers and the general public. We invite proposals that concentrate on data visualization within a breadth of subject areas and techniques, and ideally address inter-disciplinary potential with a particular emphasis on virtual and augmented reality. Although the primary focus of presentation is through using visual aids, alternative approaches (e.g. the use of sounds) in communicating data are encouraged.

Any questions can be addressed to Martin Pratt ([hidden email]). We look forward to your contributions!

The AGU 2017 abstract submission deadline is 11:59 PM EDT on 2 August 2017. Many thanks for your consideration!

Conveners:

Martin Pratt, Victor Luo, Natalie Accardo, Hannah Rabinowitz