AGU Session Announcement: (C005) Advances in Observing and Modeling Ice Sheet and Ice Shelf Surface Mass Balance: Past, Present and Future

AGU Session Announcement: (C005) Advances in Observing and Modeling Ice Sheet and Ice Shelf Surface Mass Balance: Past, Present and Future

Noël, B.P.Y. (Brice)
Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to our session on surface mass balance (SMB) at AGU Fall Meeting in Washington DC.

C005: Advances in Observing and Modeling Ice Sheet and Ice Shelf Surface Mass Balance: Past, Present and Future

If your research interests focus on observing or modeling the SMB of ice sheets and ice shelves, we invite submissions that
study processes such as snowfall, snow redistribution, firn densification, meltwater retention, surface water storage and
drainage, and albedo, using remote sensing, ground based measurements, and modeling approaches. A better understanding
of these processes will help obtaining more reliable estimates of past, present and future ice sheets and ice shelves SMB.
A more detailed session description can be found below.

Please contact our session convenors for additional information:

Indrani Das ([hidden email]),
Jan Lenaerts ([hidden email]),
Brice Noël ([hidden email]),
Brooke Medley ([hidden email]).

We look forward to meeting you at AGU and learning more about your exciting SMB research!

Brice, Indrani, Brooke and Jan

Session Description:

A reliable estimate of surface mass balance (SMB), including its components, change, and drivers, is pivotal for understanding
past, present, and future ice sheet mass balance and sea level change. Large temporal SMB variability, predominantly driven
by snowfall anomalies, challenges the detection of longer-term trends in Antarctic mass balance. As the atmosphere warms,
episodes of pervasive melt are becoming frequent over Greenland Ice Sheet and Antarctic ice shelves. Melt water can be partly
stored in firn, crevasses, surface or buried ponds and rivers, impacting hydrofracture, cryohydrologic warming, firn pore-space
depletion, and snow/ice darkening. Our assessment of ice sheet mass balance depends on the accurate representation of these
processes in ice sheet and climate models and evaluation using observations.

Submission Deadline: 1 August 2018, 11:59 P.M. EDT

Dr. Brice Noël
Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research (IMAU)
Utrecht University, BBG room 672
Princetonplein 5, 3584 CC Utrecht, The Netherlands
+32 499608166
[hidden email]
imau.nl