AGU Session Announcement: (C012) Birth, Life, & Death of Icebergs

AGU Session Announcement: (C012) Birth, Life, & Death of Icebergs

Ellyn Enderlin
Hi all,
If you're research interests span the ice-ocean interface, I'd like to call your attention to our session on icebergs at the AGU Fall Meeting in DC: (C012) Birth, Life, & Death of Icebergs. We invite submissions that span the entire iceberg 'lifecycle', from studies focused on calving processes, iceberg disintegration, and interactions between icebergs and the atmosphere, ocean, sea ice, sea floor, and ecosystems. A more detailed description is included in the session description below.

Please do not hesitate to contact Ellyn Enderlin ([hidden email]) or any of the other session conveners if you have any questions regarding the session.

We look forward to learning more about your science and seeing you at AGU!
Till Wagner, Ellyn Enderlin, Ian Eisenman, & Claudia Cenedese

Session Description:
Under global warming, mass loss from the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets is expected to increase. This increase will likely be accompanied by an increased discharge of icebergs into the oceans. For this session we solicit contributions that address observations, theory, and modeling of the mechanisms that control the detachment of icebergs from ice sheets and glaciers, along with the processes that control the fate and evolution of icebergs until they completely melt. Potential topics include iceberg interactions with the ocean, the atmosphere, sea ice, and sea floor, the influence of icebergs on local ecosystems and biogeochemical processes, and the representation of calving and disintegration of icebergs in models of varying complexity with local to global domains. We invite submissions focusing on past, present, and projected future climates in both polar regions.

--
Ellyn M Enderlin, PhD
Research Assistant Professor