AGU Session: Dust in the High Latitudes

Bradley Markle
Dear Cryolist,

I wanted to draw your attention to a new AGU session this year that may be of interest on high latitude dust. We are aiming to bring together insights from modern observations, modeling, and paleoclimate records. We welcome any contributions that further our understanding of the dust cycle, particularly in the high latitudes.
Thanks,
Brad, Stu, and Alejandra

Dust in the High Latitudes: Local Sources, Remote transport, Paleorecords, and Impacts

Session ID#: 27011

Session Description:
The dust cycle in the high latitudes includes a diverse set of interactions with the global energy, carbon, and hydrologic cycles.  Dust delivered to the high latitudes is both generated locally and transported from the mid-latitudes, with complex mechanisms of variability in both the emission and removal. Understanding the provenance and transport of dust is crucial to understanding the paleoclimate variability recorded in high-latitude ice and sediment cores. Further, dust is not a passive tracer in the high latitude climate, but plays important roles in the surface energy balance and the ocean’s biogeochemical cycles.  We invite contributions that further our understanding of the polar dust cycle from both modeling and observations. Topics may include dust transport from the mid-latitudes, identification and characterization of high latitude dust sources, paleorecords of dust in the high latitudes and their interpretation, and the radiative and biogeochemical impacts of dust.
Primary Convener:  Stuart M Evans, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, United States; Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory, Princeton, NJ, United States
Conveners:  Bradley R Markle, University of Washington Seattle Campus, Seattle, WA, United States and Alejandra Borunda, Columbia University of New York, Palisades, NY, United States
Co-Organized with:
Atmospheric Sciences, and Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology

--
Bradley Markle
Ice Core Paleoclimate

Department of Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington, Box 351310
4000 15th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA 98195

Office: JHN 324
Cell phone: (541) 760 8322
Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>