AGU Session: Explore and communicate through data-driven collaborations across, art, design and geoscience

AGU Session: Explore and communicate through data-driven collaborations across, art, design and geoscience

Allen Pope
Dear Artists, Designers, Educators, Scientists and cross-disciplinary enthusiasts,

We are pleased to announce the session: "Explore and communicate through data-driven collaborations across, art, design and geoscience (PA012)" at the AGU Fall Meeting Dec. 11-15, 2017 in New Orleans. Please see below for a detailed session descriptions. You can submit your contributions via the Fall Meeting website (https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session27416) by Wednesday, 2 August 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT.

As this is an public affairs (PA) session you can submit a first author abstract to this in addition to having up to two abstracts in other sessions*.

We look forward to seeing you in New Orleans and furthering the integration of the arts and design in the geoscience community.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

On behalf of the conveners,
Allen Pope

---

Session description:

Once considered the realm of scientists, these days artists, designers, journalists and others are using new data technologies, architectures and tools as part of exploring “big data” and other data-driven initiatives that build on the recent advances in computing. Yet there is wide scope beyond simple one-way informing for collaborations between these disciplines. New ways to visualize, explore, and understand data can lead to novel ways to inform, communicate, and promote scientific or practice-based insights. Ultimately, this will help transfer understanding and insight from one realm to the other, with the overall benefit of improved understanding and communication. In this session, we invite contributions from scientists, educators, artists, designers, and other professionals whose focus is on cross-disciplinary collaboration. We particularly welcome contributions from colleagues with expertise on big data or data-driven expertise as well as those who have measured, assessed, and demonstrated the impact (or lack thereof) of their activities.
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session27416

Conveners: Allen Pope ([hidden email]); Saskia van Manen ([hidden email]); Marco Tedesco ([hidden email])

*First Authors can have a maximum of one (1) contributed and one (1) invited abstract, or two (2) invited abstracts. The only exemption to this policy is the submission of one (1) additional contributed abstract to an Education (ED) or Public Affairs (PA) session.