AGU session C015: Hydrology of Mountain Glaciers and Ice Sheets

AGU session C015: Hydrology of Mountain Glaciers and Ice Sheets

Kristin Poinar
We would like to welcome you to submit an abstract to the session “Hydrology of Mountain Glaciers and Ice Sheets” at the AGU Fall Meeting 2017, New Orleans.  This session always features a wide range of ice-sheet hydrology topics, and this year we are planning to add to that an emphasis on the hydrology of alpine glaciers.  Our confirmed invited speakers are Hamish Pritchard and Helen Dahlke.

We welcome your work on modeling and/or observations of supraglacial, englacial, and/or subglacial water and its effects on ice flow, ice thermodynamics, mass balance, geomorphology, or other aspects of the earth system.

Session Title: Hydrology of Mountain Glaciers and Ice Sheets
Session Number: C015

Water can lubricate the beds of glaciers and ice sheets and thereby affect ice dynamics, glacier mass balance, and geomorphology.  The systems that store and transport water through glaciers take many forms, including supraglacial lakes and streams; features associated with the collection, flow, or refreezing of water within snow and firn; englacial elements such as crevasses, moulins, and incised channels; and the subglacial drainage system and its erosive processes. Interactions among these and other components shape glacial hydrologic systems. Ongoing advances in our understanding of the spatiotemporal variability of glacier hydrology inform the effort to predict how glacial systems respond to our changing climate. This session explores the role of water on, in, and under glaciers and ice sheets. We invite contributions from all aspects of glacial hydrology and particularly welcome studies that focus on mountain glacier hydrology or on connections among different components of the glacial hydrologic system.

Focus Group: Cryosphere

Abstract submission deadline is Wednesday, 2 August.

Thank you,

Kristin Poinar (NASA Goddard Space Flight Center)
Christine Dow (University of Waterloo)
Colin Meyer (University of Oregon)

Kristin Poinar
NASA Postdoctoral Fellow