AGU session, C017, passive microwave remote sensing

AGU session, C017, passive microwave remote sensing

Walt Meier
Hello,

As procrastinators (like me) are getting ready to submit their AGU abstracts, I wanted to send a reminder to passive microwave researchers to consider submitting to our session, C017: “Forty years of eyes on the planet: An uninterrupted record of earth remote sensing with satellite passive microwave instruments”.

While the motivation for the session is to celebrate the 40-year passive microwave satellite record, we encourage any submission that deals with passive microwave remote sensing instruments, including imagers and sounders from historic instruments and new instruments (e.g., AMSR2, GPM, SMAP, SMOS).

The session is in the Cryosphere section, but it is planned as a collaborative session and is co-organized with the Ocean Sciences, Hydrology, Atmospheric Sciences, and Global Environmental Change sections. Thus, any earth science research using passive microwave remote sensing is a relevant topic for this session. Submit your abstract by August 1 here:

https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/abstract-submissions/

Sincerely,

Conveners of Session C017:

Walt Meier, National Snow and Ice Data Center
Ralph Ferraro, NOAA STAR
Carl Mears, Remote Sensing Systems, Inc.
Tom Wilheit, Texas A&M University

Session Abstract:

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the beginning of continuous multi-channel passive microwave remote sensing of the earth system. Starting in October 1978 with the launch of the Scanning Multichannel Microwave Radiometer (SMMR) and the Microwave Sounding Unit (MSU), there has been at least one multi-channel passive microwave imager and sounder in orbit. This has allowed several international groups to help produce consistent long-term climate records of geophysical parameters spanning several key climate parameters, including: sea ice, ice sheets, snow, soil moisture, soil freeze/thaw state, atmospheric temperature profiles, integrated water vapor over oceans, precipitation, ocean winds, and sea surface temperature. We invite contributions on scientific results from earth-observing satellite passive microwave remote sensing. Potential topics include: long-term climate records from the instruments, innovative new data sets or techniques, integration with other data sources (ground, airborne, or satellite) for improved retrievals, and use in models (for initialization, validation, or assimilation).