AGU session announcement: S012. Earthquakes Related Cascading Hazards (Shanshan Li)

AGU session announcement: S012. Earthquakes Related Cascading Hazards (Shanshan Li)

Shanshan Li

Dear colleagues,

Please consider to submit an abstract to our AGU session: S012. Earthquakes Related Cascading Hazards. To submit an abstract, please use the following link: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/76743

Session Title:

S012. Earthquakes Related Cascading Hazards

Primary Section:

Seismology

Conveners:

Dr. Shanshan Li (Florida International University, USA), [hidden email]

Dr. Zhigang Peng (Georgia Tech, USA), [hidden email]

Dr. Shimon Wdowinski (Florida International University, USA), [hidden email]

Dr. Philippe Steer (University of Rennes 1, France), [hidden email]

Session Description:

It is now well established that earthquakes can trigger or be triggered by other natural processes, including other earthquakes, landslides, tsunami, ice movement, volcanism, and extreme weather events and other cyclic forces such as tides, annual variations in atmospheric pressures and ground waters. However, identifying and understanding the physical mechanism, frequency, time delays and control factors of different earthquake related triggering relationships remains challenging. In this session, we welcome contributions that address, quantify, compare and model triggering relationships between earthquakes and between earthquakes and other natural hazards observed over timescales ranging from seconds to years in different tectonic regions. We aim to provide a platform for discussing potential earthquake-related triggering mechanisms and explore potential impacts of earthquakes and other natural hazards. We hope this session can provide new insights for estimating the likelihood of future damaging earthquakes and other natural hazards.

Further Information at AGU website: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/76743

Abstract Deadline:  Wednesday, 31 July at 23:59 EDT

Meeting Dates: 9 – 13 December 2019

If you have any questions regarding to this session, please contact us for further information. We are looking forward to receiving your contribution.

Thanks and sincerely,

Shanshan Li

Shimon Wdowinski

Zhigang Peng