AGU session announcement "Documenting And Understanding The MWP/LIA Climate Anomalies: Data And Models

AGU session announcement "Documenting And Understanding The MWP/LIA Climate Anomalies: Data And Models

Áslaug Geirsdóttir

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention  to the following session at the AGU Fall Meeting 2011 in San Francisco, California, USA (December 5th-9th 2011).  Abstract submission is now open at

http://agu-fm11.abstractcentral.com/

and the deadline for submissions is 4 August 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT.

PP09: Documenting And Understanding The MWP/LIA Climate Anomalies: Data And Models

Convenors: Gifford H. Miller, Aslaug Geirsdottir, Bette Otto-Bliesner

Although the Medieval Warm Period-Little Ice Age-20th Century includes the most extreme climate anomalies of the past 8 ka, the timing, spatial expressions, and causes remain debated, despite a rich suite of proxy and historical records. The first-order trend since 8 ka reflects precession forcing. Superimposed periods of anomalously colder summers, culminating in the Little Ice Age, are widely attributed to some combination of explosive volcanism and decadal-scale reductions in solar irradiance, with additional contributions from changes in internal modes of variability. We encourage contributions that improve our understanding of climate dynamics over the past 1200 years.

We welcome any abstract submissions relevant to this topic and look forward to seeing you in San Francisco.

Best regards,

Áslaug Geirsdóttir, Gifford H. Miller, Bette Otto-Bliesner

Áslaug Geirsdóttir
Professor
Department of Earth Sciences
& Institute of Earth Sciences