AGU session on Greenland and Antarctica

WOODROFFE S.A.

Please consider submitting an abstract to our AGU session on reconstructing glacier and ice sheet change over geological to instrumental timescales.

Session ID: 22650

Session Title: C017. Ice sheet and glacier change: integrating instrumental, geological and modelling methods to understand ice sheet and glacier evolution.

Section/Focus Group: Cryosphere

Session Viewer Link:  https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session22650

Understanding the past evolution of ice sheets and glaciers, and producing predictions of future change requires a longer-term perspective than can be provided by geodetic data alone.  The aim of this session is to improve our understanding of how and why glaciers and ice sheets change.  The session focus is on investigating the multitude ways that glacier and ice sheet histories are reconstructed over a range of timescales from decadal to millennial.

We especially welcome submissions that provide a new perspective by integrating instrumental, geological and modelling techniques to understand past glacier or ice sheet change.  In particular we welcome studies that focus on combining onshore and offshore records, different types of proxy data, a range of geodetic techiques and/or innovative modelling approaches to enhance our understanding of past glacier or ice sheet evolution and help us to better predict future changes.

Conveners: Sarah Woodroffe, Durham University, Kristian Kjeldsen, Natural History Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen, Laura Levy, Aarhus University and Leanne Wake, Northumbria University

Cross-Listed:

·         G - Geodesy

·         GC - Global Environmental Change

·         PP - Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology