AGU session: snow on sea ice

Marcel Nicolaus
Dear colleagues,

since the abstract deadline for the AGU fall meeting this year is approaching fast, I would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session:

C023: Monitoring and Modeling Snow on Sea Ice – From Grain Size to Global Climate Models

Depth and physical properties of snow dominate many processes and properties of Arctic and Antarctic sea ice. They are among the least known and most difficult to observe climate variables, mainly due to their high spatial and temporal variability and complex vertical structure. Active and passive microwave data, as well as laser and radar altimeter satellite observations, have recently been applied to retrieve snow depth over sea ice, but their accuracy and sensitivity needs to be better understood. Snow studies using atmospheric reanalysis products are hampered by large uncertainties and biases. Numerical simulations of snow processes, accumulation, and ablation from 1D micro scales to global circulation models reveal major challenges with strong impacts on atmosphere-ice-ocean interaction. In-situ, autonomous, and airborne observations of snow on sea ice are advancing and are expected to become more comprehensive. We welcome abstracts from these wide fields of snow on sea ice research.

See you in New Orleans,
Marcel Nicolaus, Julienne Stroeve, Michel Tsamados, and Andrew Barrett

Marcel Nicolaus
Meereisphysik / Sea Ice Physics

Bussestr. 27-29
27570 Bremerhaven