AGU2019 session on "The stability, structure and temporal variability of AMOC: past, present, and future" (PP037)

AGU2019 session on "The stability, structure and temporal variability of AMOC: past, present, and future" (PP037)

Feng He
Dear Colleagues,

Apology for any cross-postings. We would like to draw your attention to our AGU session on “The stability, structure and temporal variability of AMOC: past, present, and future”. We have two exciting invited contributions by Jean Lynch-Stieglitz and Hong Chin Ng.

This session welcomes both modeling studies and proxy-reconstructions that investigate the relevance of AMOC changes for past climate change throughout the Quaternary, including drivers, and associated climate feedbacks over decadal-to-orbital timescales. Contributions that connect past AMOC evolution to the projected changes under future warmer climate are also welcomed.

The deadline for abstract submission is July 31st.

Full description of the sessions can be viewed online with the link below and is also included at the end of the e-mail for your convenience:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/75841

Looking forward to see many of you,

Jerry Tjiputra, Feng He, Julia Gottschalk and Jerry McManus

PP037. The stability, structure and temporal variability of AMOC: past, present, and future
Session Description:
The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) is recognized as a major regulator for the Earth’s climate. Paleoclimate reconstructions applying diverse proxies have highlighted the close link between past climate change and ocean circulation dynamics, particularly in the Atlantic Ocean. Recent advancements in model simulations and contemporary observations have greatly grown our understanding and appreciation of the spatially and highly complex structure and temporal variability of the AMOC, and its interplay with the cryosphere. Yet, our ability to predict future AMOC response to anthropogenic forcing remains limited. An improved understanding of the AMOC’s response to hydrographic and climatic changes is hence critical. This session welcomes both modeling studies and proxy-reconstructions that investigate the relevance of AMOC changes for past climate change throughout the Quaternary, including drivers, and associated climate feedbacks over decadal-to-orbital timescales. Contributions that connect past AMOC evolution to the projected changes under future warmer climate are also welcomed.
Primary Section/Focus Group:
Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology
SWIRL Theme:
Climate
Index Terms:

4532 General circulation [OCEANOGRAPHY: PHYSICAL]
4901 Abrupt/rapid climate change [PALEOCEANOGRAPHY]
4928 Global climate models [PALEOCEANOGRAPHY]
4962 Thermohaline [PALEOCEANOGRAPHY]

Cheers,

Feng He
Associate Scientist
Center for Climatic Research
Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
University of Wisconsin - Madison
http://faculty.nelson.wisc.edu/fenghe/Welcome.html