AMOS-ICSHMO 2018

Will Hobbs

Dear colleagues

Abstract submission is now open for the AMOS International Conference on Southern Hemisphere Meteorology and Oceanography (ICSHMO) meeting in Sydney, Australia, on 5th-9th February 2018.

We would especially like to draw cryolist members’ attention to our session entitled ‘Challenges and progress in modelling the Antarctic climate system’ (full session description below). We hope to attract a diverse range of topics from the Antarctic-Southern Ocean modelling communities, and would encourage you to consider submitting an abstract.

Abstract submission closes on 31st August; abstracts may be submitted through the conference website (https://www.amos-icshmo2018.com.au).

Will Hobbs, Petra Heil and Marilyn Raphael

Session Description:

The unique ocean-ice-atmosphere system of the high latitude Southern Hemisphere has global significance, since it is instrumental in the ocean’s uptake of heat and carbon, and in accelerating sea-level rise due to basal melt of ice shelves. Due to the complexity of this system, both coupled and uncoupled ocean and atmosphere models struggle to represent both interannual variability and longer term trends. This poses a significant challenge to our understanding of past and future changes in the Antarctic and Southern Ocean region. In this session we invite contributions related to all domains of the Southern Ocean climate system – ocean, ice and atmosphere - that consider the current state of modelling capability, that demonstrate technical progress in the field, or that consider potential pathways to future breakthroughs, including sea-ice observations and uncertainties and methods of verification for sea-ice simulations.