ASSW2021: session "Permafrost thaw effects to the Arctic nature and society"

ASSW2021: session "Permafrost thaw effects to the Arctic nature and society"

Moritz Langer
Dear Arctic research and permafrost enthusiasts,

this is another advertisement for the Arctic Science Summit Week 2021 (https://assw2021.pt/).
We encourage you to submit an abstract to the session: Permafrost thaw effects to the Arctic nature and society
under the Theme: D) THE CHANGING TERRESTRIAL ENVIRONMENTS: DYNAMICS AND IMPACTS

Conveners:
Lei Cai | NORCE Norwegian Research Centre, Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, Norway
Anna Liljedahl | Woodwell Climate Research Center, USA
Moritz Langer | Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research (AWI), Germany

Session Abstract:
Permafrost is the only part of the Cryosphere inhabited by people, thus, permafrost thaw have become a multi-dimensional problem of environmental, economic, and social relevance. Widespread thawing of permafrost is expected in a warmer future and modeling studies suggest large-scale degradation of near-surface permafrost at the end of the 21st century. Concurring evidence from recent studies suggests that permafrost landscapes will undergo significant transformations, with unprecedented consequences for Arctic societies and direct impact on human infrastructure. In this session, we invite research covering a wide range of topics including permafrost thaw impacts to natural resources such as water and food production, human infrastructure such as roads and buildings, and societal challenges such as indigenous groups, herding, and culture. We encourage researchers from various disciplines from natural science, engineering, and social sciences to submit their scientific research findings. This session will focus on scientific findings and additionally we will host a parallel workshop that will focus on discussion of these topics.

Abstract deadline is the 30 Nov 2020

For abstract submissions please use the following link:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScBWoMK0f79MMqi2UUHczz4makkqez4re1-7p5DR1KfofYijQ/formResponse

We are looking forward to see you online
Moritz
--
Dr. Moritz Langer
Group Leader BMBF Young Investigator Group PermaRisk

Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research (AWI)
Telegrafenberg A45 | 14473 Potsdam
Tel.: +49 (0)331 288 2135

Geographisches Institut | Department of Geography | Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Rudower Chaussee 16 | 12489 Berlin
Tel.: +49 (0)30 2093 9437

www.awi.de/en/science/junior-groups/permarisk.html