[Abstract deadline: 31 March] Geothermal flux session at ISAES in July

[Abstract deadline: 31 March] Geothermal flux session at ISAES in July

Kenichi Matsuoka-2

Dear colleagues,

The deadline for abstract submission (31st March) for the XIII International Symposium on Antarctic Earth Science (ISAES) 22-26 July 2019, Incheon, Republic of Korea, is fast approaching. We encourage you to submit your research to our session Antarctic geothermal heat flux as outlined below. We also have confirmed Yasmina Martos (NASA) as a keynote speaker for this session.

Please note there are no restrictions on the number of abstracts you can submit/author.

Abstracts can be submitted here. More details about the conference are available here.

Antarctic geothermal heat flux

Co-conveners: [hidden email][hidden email][hidden email][hidden email][hidden email]

Abstract submissionhttps://www.isaes2019.org:12090/images/icon_go_arr.png

The natural heat from the Earth warms polar ice sheets from below and affects how and where ice flows. Knowledge of geothermal heat flux (GHF) is therefore fundamental to improved simulations of the Antarctic Ice Sheet. Recent investigations of GHF span the solid Earth-cryosphere system and point towards heterogeneities at a range of scales that may have profound influence on subglacial hydrology, ice sheet dynamics and million-year ice climate records. We invite contributions that can deepen our understanding of the magnitude and spatial variability of GHF across the Antarctic plate, including field-based observations, remotely sensed derivations, geophysical and geochemical data assimilations, and modelling studies. We also invite contributions that explore the sensitivity of polar (including Antarctic and Greenland) ice sheets to GHF variations. We especially welcome integrative studies that seek to resolve current discrepancies between different thermal proxies, and those that look to the future of GHF research. This session supports the SCAR Solid Earth Response and influence on Cryospheric Evolution (SERCE) scientific research programme goals.

Please feel free to contact [hidden email] if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you in Korea!

Cheers,

Jacqueline, Alex, Ricarda, Weisen and Kenny