FORM FOR ADVERTISERS
INSTITUTION: Institute of Geophysics, Polish Academy of Sciences
POSITION: Adjunct (equiv. Assist. Prof.) at the Department of Polar and Marine Research
SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINE: Earth and Environmental Sciences
DATE POSTED: 31.08.2020
APPLICATIONS DUE: 31.09.2020
KEYWORDS: geophysics, oceanography, polar research
DESCRIPTION (topics, requirements, comments):
Short job description:
A person hired on this position will participate in the studies on the environment of polar fjords conducted by the Department of Polar and Marine Research (DPMR) of the Institute of Geophysics Polish Academy of Sciences (Institute) and the oceanographic monitoring conducted by the Polish Polar Station Hornsund (PPS). The main topic of the research will be to investigate changes in polar fjords and the impact of these changes to the environment in both local and global scales.
Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the research the candidate must present not only experience in environmental research, but also demonstrate the ability and readiness to tackle new scientific questions and expand knowledge in largely unexplored scientific topics and research methods.
· Data analysis and presentation of the results in form of scientific articles and conference talks and posters;
· Application for funding of grants managed by the Institute and directed for research, including in particular marine geophysics, processes in fjords, and acting at the boundaries between the ocean, glaciers and coastal areas;
· Application for and participation in short- and long-term fellowships/internships in Poland and abroad.;
· Participation and development of national and international collaboration in research conducted by the Institute;
· Giving lectures for students and doctoral candidates under the educational activities conducted at the Institute and at other scientific institutes in Poland and abroad working in partnership with the Institute in the field of polar and marie research;
· Participation in the ‘scientific life’ of the Institute by giving talks and seminars;
· Participation in educational and outreach activities conducted by the Institute;
· Participation in the analysis and archiving of datasets collected under the oceanographic monitoring conducted in joint cooperation by DPMR and PPS;
· Participation in maintenance of scientific instruments owned by the Institute together with planning and purchasing new equipment (and all necessary upgrades) essential for conducting scientific research;
Working conditions and career perspectives:
· access to state-of-the-art scientific instruments
· work in a developing group of marine researchers
· ability to expand scientific record and develop future career path under a tenure-track position
· participation in interdisciplinary research conducted together with national and international partners
· Higher education in the field of: physics, geophysics, geography, geology, mathematics, oceanography or related.
· Scientific degree: according to Article 89 of the Act from April 30, 2010 on the Polish Academy of Sciences, in a branch of science (discipline):
classification from 2018: Natural Sciences (mathematics, physical sciences, earth and environmental sciences);
classification from 2011-2018: Physical Sciences (physics, geophysics), Mathematical Sciences (mathematics), Earth Sciences (geophysics, geography, geology, oceanography) or related.
Qualifications of the candidate:
· Strong publication record in JCR list;
· Experience in performing field measurements in polar regions or other, similarly harsh and remote areas;
· Experience in conducting scientific analyses in laboratories allowing for collaboration with national and international partners both on land and sea;
· Experience in presenting scientific results during international or national conferences and meetings;
· Experience in leading or participating in research projects;
· Skills in using computer tools to (a) create maps and visualize results (ArcGIS, GlobalMapper etc.) and (b) perform statistical and mathematical analysis of environmental data (Matlab, Statistica etc.);
· Knowledge on the science of polar regions, including in particular marine geophysics, processes in fiords, and at the boundaries between the ocean, glaciers and coastal areas;
· Fluent English in both speaking and writing;
· Documented collaboration with partners from national and international institutions;
Additional beneficial experience, skills and knowledge:
· Articles published as a first author in JCR journals;
· Documented higher education in more than one discipline, internships or fellowships in Poland and/or abroad in the scientific topics related to the work conducted by the Institute;
· Knowledge on sedimentology, glaciology, physical or chemical oceanography and/or experience in using oceanographic methods/tools, including but not limited to ADCP, CTD, Turbidity Sensor, LISST, sediment traps, sub-bottom profilers, side-scan sonars, multibeam echosounders , etc.;
· Experience and documented certification in: motorboat driving/handling, sailing, diving, etc.;
· basic salary not lower than specified in the Act from October 16, 2019 on the Polish Academy of Sciences and some other acts – Article 1 Point 1.
· stable, full-time position;
· professional development as a scientist;
· social benefits package under the Company Social Benefits Fund;
· medical package with an option to include family members with additional cost;
· participation in courses and professional training,
· estimated start date: September 2020.
· employment duration: first contract for one year with an option of extension depending on scientific progress
· higher education certificates/diplomas
· PhD diploma
· Cover letter
· A list of scientific achievements, including in particular:
- publication record;
- participation in research projects as a project leader, major contributor, scientific contributor, technician, etc. (please specify);
- participation in short- and long-term internships/fellowships in Poland and abroad;
- participation in scientific conferences and meetings as a first author or co-author of a talk or a poster presentation (please specify);
- participation in measurement campaigns (please specify your contribution);
- experience in using scientific instruments, specified in form of a list of tools and/or equipment;
- documents showing other, non-scientific qualifications of the candidate, including but not limited to: diving certificates, sailing licenses, certificate of competency of motorboat skipper, etc.;
- other information and documents that the candidate considers as important for the application process.
Applications should be sent in the electronic form till at the address: [hidden email].
Please include the following statement in your CV: I agree to the processing of personal data provided in this document to the Institute of Geophysics Polish Academy of Sciences for realizing the recruitment process and future recruitment processes pursuant to the Personal Data Protection Act of 10 May 2018 (Journal of Laws 2018, item 1000) and in agreement with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation).
You're subscribed to the CRYOLIST mailing list
To send a message to the list, email [hidden email]
For posting guidelines, see http://cryolist.org/posting.html
To unsubscribe, see http://cryolist.org/unsubscribe.html
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|