Antarctic Education, Outreach and Training Session at SCAR 2012

Antarctic Education, Outreach and Training Session at SCAR 2012

Jenny Baeseman
--- apologies for cross posting ---

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to bring your attention to the session "Antarctic Education, Outreach and Training" at the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) Open Science Conference in Portland, Oregon, 16-19 July.

Abstract submission deadline: 15 February 2012

For more information on the conference, visit http://scar2012.geol.pdx.edu/

Antarctic Education, Outreach and Training Session

With the increased attention on the changing Polar Regions, effective science education, outreach and communication need to be higher priorities within the scientific and policy communities. To help increase the effectiveness of outreach and to help stimulate new efforts among Antarctic researchers, SCAR programs and groups, and partner organization, this session will bring together examples of capacity building, education, outreach and communication efforts of researchers, educators, communicators, and others involved with Antarctic knowledge transfer and dissemination. We particularly encourage presentations that not only share experiences, but also include the lessons learned and advice for others interested in developing similar activities.

In addition to session presentations, we will hold a panel discussion on what can be done to continue the education and outreach momentum from the International Polar Year and how we can benefit from the many lessons learned to continue to inspire science outreach efforts, improve planning, enhance self-evaluation and capitalize on the current elevated interest in the Antarctic Region and its global connections. SCAR plays an important role in Antarctic capacity building, education and training, through the CBET committee and other efforts.

This session is co-sponsored by the Association of Polar Early Career Scientists and the WCRP/SCAR/IASC Climate and the Cryosphere Project.

We hope to see you in Portland,
Jenny Baeseman (NO) [hidden email]; Jose Xavier (PT); Erli Costa (BR)

"Shaping the Future of Polar Research"
- - -

Dr. Jenny Baeseman
Director - Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS)
University of Tromsø
Hyperboreum 104, BFE
NO- 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Mobile: +47 4821 8095
Calling from the US, use 1-715-203-0072 (just like a regular long distance call within the States)
skype: jbaeseman