Any simple mountain glacier models to use for undergraduate teaching?

Any simple mountain glacier models to use for undergraduate teaching?

Phil Hwang

I am looking for a simple mountain glacier model for the undergraduate teaching. If anyone has an information, could you please advise me in email ([hidden email])?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Phil

Byongjun (Phil) Hwang, PhD, FHEA

School of Applied Sciences

University of Huddersfield | Queensgate | Huddersfield | HD1 3DH

Email: [hidden email]

Office: +44 1484 (47)1202 |Mobile: +44 7825 920150

My office is JP2/42.

University of Huddersfield inspiring global professionals.

Re: Any simple mountain glacier models to use for undergraduate teaching?

martin.luethi
Hi Byongjun

"Byongjun (Phil) Hwang" <[hidden email]> writes:
> I am looking for a simple mountain glacier model for the undergraduate
> teaching.

We just re-wrote a SIA flowline glacier model, originally by Andreas
Vieli, in Python. It works, and is simple enough to be able to
experiment with. Some example uses are documented in the _stepX.py
files.

https://git.sr.ht/~scinu/glaciermodel

Any feedback or contributions are very welcome.

Good luck

Martin

--
Dr. Martin L├╝thi
Department of Geography, 3G

Re: [EXT] Any simple mountain glacier models to use for undergraduate teaching?

Davies, Bethan

Dear Byongjun,

Try the OGGM EDU pages, there is a lot of thought there that has gone into teaching glacier modelling.

https://edu.oggm.org/en/latest/

see also the curated list here:

http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/students-3/resources-for-teachers/interactive-glacier-models/

all the best

Bethan

I am looking for a simple mountain glacier model for the undergraduate teaching. If anyone has an information, could you please advise me in email ([hidden email])?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Phil

Byongjun (Phil) Hwang, PhD, FHEA

School of Applied Sciences

University of Huddersfield | Queensgate | Huddersfield | HD1 3DH

Email: [hidden email]

Office: +44 1484 (47)1202 |Mobile: +44 7825 920150

My office is JP2/42.

University of Huddersfield inspiring global professionals.

This email, its contents and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. In certain circumstances, it may also be subject to legal privilege. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. If you have received this email in error, please notify us and immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in personal emails are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Royal Holloway, University of London. It is your responsibility to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.