Audio recordings of calving ice

David Vaughan - UKRI BAS

Greetings Cryo-folk!

I’ve been asked to reach out to the glaciological community by an artist who is creating an installation which should be exhibited the next Venice Biennale.  His work is ambitious and, for me, very exciting.  He is set on building a physical installation that will re-create the sound of ice calving from glaciers.  Although, it’s not for me to make public his plans, I can say, I have heard his initial effort, and it is truly impressive!

His next step will be to ‘tune’ his ‘instrument’ to make it as realistic and evocative as possible.  This means tuning it to the sound of the real thing.  For that reason, I’d be very keen to hear about any recordings that anyone would care to share with the artist.

If you have any recordings of glaciers calving, particularly as heard from relatively nearby.  It would be great to hear from you.

Best regards from lockdown-UK.

David

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses. Opinions, conclusions or other information in this message and attachments that are not related directly to UKRI business are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of UKRI.