BGA Cryospheric Geophysics Meeting 2012: First Reminder and new IGS Sponsorship, abstract deadline and Annals of Glaciology Volume

BGA Cryospheric Geophysics Meeting 2012: First Reminder and new IGS Sponsorship, abstract deadline and Annals of Glaciology Volume

Kulessa B.

Dear Cryolisters,

This is a first gentle reminder and update regarding our meeting our BGA/RAS/IGS/The Geological Meeting on the the 'The Geophysics of the Cryosphere and Glacial Products: Properties, Processes and Technical Advances', which will take place on 9-10 February 2012 in the Burlington House, Home of The Geological Society of London, UK. We first advertised the meeting in late October, 2011, and I copy in below an updated version of the original information. We have so far had a very positive response from the international glaciological and geophysical communities, and so it’s shaping up to be an exciting meeting!

UPDATE:

--------

We are excited to announce that the Council of the International Glaciological Society has recently ratified co-sponsorship of our meeting, as well as an Annals of Glaciology volume based on the contributions to it. The new details are now available on our website at:

http://www.swan.ac.uk/environment_society/newscentre/latestevents/bgacryosphericgeophysics.php

We also have a new online abstract submission site at:

http://www.igsoc.org/symposia/2012/london/

that comes complete with a new abstract submission deadline of 6th January 2012 (i.e. 3 weeks later than the original deadline). The registration deadline remains on January 13th, 2012. The deadline for submission of manuscripts intended for publication in the Annals of Glaciology is May 11th, 2012, and more details will be announced in January once the abstract submission has closed. In the meantime, please email the Chief Editor for it, Bernd Kulessa (b.kulessa .at. swansea.ac.uk) if you have any queries.

Prof. David Vaughan (British Antarctic Survey, UK), Prof. Robin Bell (Lamond-Doherty Earth Observatory, USA) and Prof. Christian Hauck (University of Fribourg, Switzerland) will be the keynote speakers at the event.

We cordially invite international contributions from all areas of geophysics and associated disciplines as applied or relevant to present-day ice masses, ice cores, frozen ground or snow. Likewise, we are keen to receive contributions on the application of geophysical and associated techniques to glacial materials and products to reconstruct past ice masses, dynamics, and hydrology.

Please also find all key information attached below.

We look forward to seeing you at the meeting on 9-10 February. Please do not hesitate to contact the Chair of the Organising Committee, Bernd Kulessa, if you have any queries (address at the bottom of this message).

Best wishes,

Bernd

Meeting Information

--------------------

Title: The Geophysics of the Cryosphere and Glacial Products: Properties, Processes and Technical Advances

Venue: The Geological Society of London, Burlington House, UK, 9-10 February 2012

Sponsors: British Geophysical Association, Royal Astronomical Society, International Glaciological Society, The Geological Society of London

Meeting series: British Geophysical Association, New Advances in Geophysics

Meeting Website:

http://www.swan.ac.uk/environment_society/newscentre/latestevents/bgacryosphericgeophysics.php

Key Dates:

----------

Deadline for (online) submission of abstracts: Friday, 6th January 2012

http://www.igsoc.org/symposia/2012/london/

Registration Deadline Friday, 13th January 2012

Manuscript deadline for Annals of Glaciology volume: 11th May 2012

Meeting Description:

--------------------

Applied geophysics, together with more fundamental theoretical and forward and inverse modelling advances, has played a major role in the exploration of the world's ice masses and their geological settings and sedimentological legacies for more than half a century. Geophysical techniques have also proven to be highly suited for the characterisation of the properties of and processes within permafrost and seasonally frozen ground, as well as those within snow and other frozen materials.

Geophysical exploration, often qualitatively or quantitatively integrated with other geoscientific methods and findings, has thus resulted in many exciting discoveries and case studies.

We cordially invite contributions from all areas of geophysics and associated disciplines as applied or relevant to present-day ice masses, ice cores, frozen ground or snow. Likewise, we are keen to receive contributions on the application of geophysical and associated techniques to glacial materials and products to reconstruct past ice masses, dynamics, and hydrology.

Organizing Committee:

---------------------

Bernd Kulessa (Chair), Adam Booth, Glenn Jones, Tavi Murray

College of Science, Swansea University, UK

Edward C. King, Andrew M. Smith

Physical Sciences Division, British Antarctic Survey, UK

Dr. Bernd Kulessa

Reader in Geophysics, Glaciology Group

College of Science

Swansea University, Singleton Park