Batteries for cold environments [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Batteries for cold environments [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stefan Vogel-2

Hello

I am currently looking for batteries to power instrumentation in Antarctica.

Does anyone has any specific recommendations?

Does anyone can tell me the advantages/disadvantage/preference between Gelled Electrolyte (gel) and Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries?

I am aware of the excellent work done by UNAVCO

http://facility.unavco.org/kb/questions/386/SLA+Battery+Cold+Performance+Tests%3A+Gel+vs.+AGM

http://facility.unavco.org/kb/questions/460/Power+-+Deep-cycle+Batteries

and would like to hear experience/opinions by others

Thanks and cheers

Stefan

---

Its the effort we make

          that keeps our love alive

---

Stefan W. Vogel

Ice Sheet Scientist

Australian Antarctic Division

ACE-CRC

tel +61 (0)3 6226 7648

fax +61 (0)3 6226 2440

email:[hidden email]

Office:

ACE CRC

306

Centenary Building, Grosvenor Crescent
Sandy Bay Tasmania 7005

Mailing Address:

ACE CRC Private Bag 80
Hobart Tasmania 7001

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

    Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
        Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/