BedGap - where should new Antarctic surveying be done?

BedGap - where should new Antarctic surveying be done?

Pritchard, Hamish D.
If you use Bedmap-style data, I’d really like to know your priorities for improving our mapping of subglacial/submarine topography.

As a quick thought exercise, could you answer the following questions?

I will publish the results in Antarctic Science, and I hope that this will be useful in guiding future surveys and justifying their importance to grant-awarding bodies.

Many thanks,

Hamish

Bedgap Questionnaire

Thinking about future priorities for Antarctic survey, I’d like to ask about your highest-priority requirements for a bedmap-type product of subglacial and submarine topography. Very detailed surveying everywhere would be nice but of course in practice we need to think about targeted campaigns.

Specifically, I’d like to ask about the resolution, the spatial extent and the location of where you would like to see improved surveying.
For example, if you are interested in ice stream grounding line processes, your priority may be for very fine detail in a zone close to the Thwaites Glacier grounding line or, for broader studies, perhaps somewhat improved detail for all Antarctic grounding zones. In geomorphology, the priority may be for an improved survey of a subglacial mountain range that resolves valley and cirque features. Oceanographers may prioritise sub-ice-shelf cavities or troughs in the continental shelf. Ice corers may want to target the deepest basins at relatively low resolution.

1) In terms of bed topography, what sampling does your work require? i.e., how detailed does the topographic grid need to be to capture the features important to your research? Please give a value in km (e.g. 0.1 km, 2 km, 10 km...).

2) Approximately what size of area would you need these data over? This doesn’t need to be an exact measure, it could be a rough box e.g. 20x20 km, 100x100 km, or 500x1000 km.

3) Where would you put this survey? To answer this, you can either centre it on a latitude/longitude coordinate or define it by a recognised geographical name so I could work out where to put it on a map. Here are some examples:
Seas or sea areas: Weddell Sea continental shelf, Weddell Sea deep ocean
Sub-ice-shelves: Wilkins, or a grouping such as Eastern Antarctic Peninsula shelves
Ice streams/glaciers: lower Thwaites Glacier, or a grouping e.g. Siple Coast Ice Streams
Interior: Recovery Lakes, Wilhelm II Land

4) What is the theme of your research? e.g. ice stream dynamics, oceanography, subglacial hydrology, geomorphology, ice cores, tectonics, biodiversity

Hamish Pritchard
British Antarctic Survey,
Cambridge, UK
+44 1223 221293