Biogeochemical Cycling in High Latitude Environments - Goldschmidt 2017, Paris (Aug. 13-18)

Biogeochemical Cycling in High Latitude Environments - Goldschmidt 2017, Paris (Aug. 13-18)

gkuhn

Dear colleagues,

The abstract submission deadline for this year's Goldschmidt Conference to be held in Paris (13-18.08) is fast approaching (April, 1st).

We would like you to consider submitting an abstract to our session entitled "Biogeochemical Cycling in High Latitude Environments (17h)".

Session summary:

High-latitudes play a key role in global climate and constrain many biogeochemical cycles. Observations and model simulations suggest that polar oceans - the Southern Ocean in particular – have played an important role in modulating the partitioning of carbon between the ocean interior and the atmosphere on glacial-interglacial cycles and thus exert a strong control on past variations of atmospheric pCO2. Furthermore, these regions are highly sensitive to anthropogenic-induced environmental change, and have witnessed some of the most rapid climatic fluctuations in recent decades. Information on how high-latitude biogeochemical cycles were affected by climatic and oceanic variability during the Quaternary are crucial to improve our understanding of present changes and to extend our ability to foresee the near-future impacts of greenhouse gas emissions. For this session, we invite multi-disciplinary contributions that explore changes in oceanography, biogeochemistry and export production of the high-latitude regions from seasonal to multi-millennial time scale. We particularly encourage submissions that focus on the macro and micro-nutrient dynamic, carbonate chemistry and trace element cycle. We also welcome contribution related to the development of environmental proxy and/or modeling of biogeochemical cycles. Finally, we particularly encourage submission of contributions addressing changes in sea-ice distribution, related thermoholine circulation, and ice-sheet dynamics.

Keynote: Gisela Winckler (LDEO)

Further details can be found on the conference website - https://goldschmidt.info/2017/program/programViewThemes

Convenors:
Gerhard Kuhn, Samuel Jaccard, Christel Not, Branwen Williams
_____________________________
Alfred-Wegener-Institut Helmholtz-Zentrum
für Polar- und Meeresforschung

Dr. Gerhard Kuhn
Senior Research Scientist
Marine Geology