CANQUA/AMQUA 2018 Session: Empirically testing paleoglaciological hypotheses and models

CANQUA/AMQUA 2018 Session: Empirically testing paleoglaciological hypotheses and models

Jonathan Cripps
With apologies for cross-posting, we’d like to draw attention to the upcoming joint meeting of CANQUA and AMQUA, at Carleton University, Ottawa, August 7-11: https://www.quaternary2018.com/

Registration is open until May 7.

Please consider submitting an abstract to our session “Empirically testing paleoglaciological hypotheses and models”, in which we are seeking to showcase the latest empirical evidence testing numerical ice sheet models and hypotheses of ice sheet evolution and glacial landform generation. Our full session advert is outlined below.

We look forward to seeing you there,

Jonathan Cripps and Tracy Brennand
Simon Fraser University, Department of Geography.

“Linking the landform evidence of ancient glaciers and ice sheets to climate variations is fundamental for anticipating the response of modern ice sheets to future climate change. Numerical modelling of Pleistocene ice sheets provides a means to link understanding of modern ice dynamics to ancient analogues, but such models must be verified or falsified against the landform evidence, or else remain strictly hypothetical. Similarly, competing conceptual models of the genesis of glacial landforms may assume different dynamics and environmental conditions; field and experimental observations of glacial landforms genesis are required to rigorously test competing hypotheses of landform genesis and provide the necessary link to climate variations and paleoenvironments. This session will welcome presentations adding empirical data to test any hypotheses and models pertaining to glacier and ice sheet dynamics and their links to environmental change”