Call for Leadership for the SOOS Amundsen and Bellingshausen Seas Regional Working Group

Call for Leadership for the SOOS Amundsen and Bellingshausen Seas Regional Working Group

Alyce Hancock

Member positions are opening in the leadership group of the SOOS Amundsen and Bellingshausen Seas Regional Working Group.

The Regional Working Group aims to discuss progress and ideas in the Amundsen and Bellingshausen Sea sector to improve the functioning, development, outputs and outcomes of research, policy and stakeholder groups. From a practical perspective, we seek to coordinate and publicise current and future studies in the region to promote greater collaboration and opportunities.

Our leadership group is composed of:

Co-chairs: Patricia Yager (USA), Bastien Queste (Sweden)

Leadership Group (LG) members: Tae Wan Kim (S. Korea), Povl Abrahamsen (United Kingdom), Anna Wahlin (Sweden), Yoshihiro Nakayama (APECS rep., Japan)

We are looking for applications to join the leadership group from a wide range of backgrounds, nationalities and disciplines with interests in the Amundsen and Bellingshausen Sea to help up implement the current strategic plan and participate in SOOS activities in accordance with the SOOS 5-year implementation plan.

The appointments are for 2-year terms, with the possibly of a 2nd term or becoming one of the group’s co-chair after the initial term.

We strive to keep our gender balance and career-stage representation: we strongly encourage female and male as well as early career and senior applications. We encourage applications from countries that are not presently represented in the leadership group.

The application deadline is November 15, 2020. Appointment shall start in spring 2021.

To apply please send a 1 page document motivating your interest and a short CV (max 3 pages) to [hidden email]