Call for POLAR 2018 Session Abstracts, CR-7: Snow and firn: an open measurement and modeling challenge, Abstract Deadline of 1 November 2017

Call for POLAR 2018 Session Abstracts, CR-7: Snow and firn: an open measurement and modeling challenge, Abstract Deadline of 1 November 2017

Roberta Pirazzini
Dear Cryolist Colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to a session on snow and firn at the upcoming Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) and International Arctic Science Committee (IASC) joint meeting POLAR2018, 19-23 June 2018, in Davos, Switzerland.

Session ID: CR-7, Title: Snow and firn: an open measurement and modeling challenge

Snow and firn are considered a major uncertainty in the knowledge of the global water and energy budgets. Both are critical components of the Earth ecosystem, very sensitive to climate change and the cause of numerous climate feedbacks. Continuous monitoring of snow and firn using remote sensing or ground-based techniques is challenging due to rapid variations in the proportion of the three contributing components ice, water and air, and the respective changes in energy budgets. The interaction of snow and firn with electromagnetic waves, underlying the retrieval for most remote sensing data, requires a detailed characterization ranging from microstructure to topographic scales.  The modeling of snow and firn is often hampered by the lack of accurate treatment of some key physical processes such as water percolation, vapor transport, and snow metamorphism, and by uncertainties on the phase and occurrence of precipitation.
We invite contributions in modeling/observational experiments and instrumental developments that advance the understanding of snow and firn. We welcome studies that focus on key physical processes in snow and firn such as, but not limited to, radiative transfer, heat transport, gas and liquid flow, compaction, snow metamorphism, and interactions with vegetation. We also invite presentations about the application of observations and/or modeling to estimate snow surface energy budget, snow mass budget, and changes in snow cover and snowfall.

Conveners: Roberta Pirazzini, Achim Heilig, Henning Löwe, Marie Dumont

Important deadlines:
1 November 2017   Abstract submission deadline, Early-bird registration opens
31 January 2018     Acceptance notification with oral/poster information

We look forward to seeing you in Davos in June 2018!

Roberta Pirazzini
PhD, Scientist
Meteorological Research Unit
Finnish Meteorological Institute