Call for abstracts ­ XXXI SCAR Session ³Antarctic Climate and South America: linking the past and present record²

Call for abstracts ­ XXXI SCAR Session ³Antarctic Climate and South America: linking the past and present record²

Jefferson Simoes
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  CRYOLIST Mailing
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Call for abstracts – XXXI SCAR Session “Antarctic Climate and South America: linking the past and present record”
Dear Colleagues,

As conveners of the next SCAR Open Science Conference (http://www.scar.org/events/) that will be held in Buenos Aires (Argentina) from August 3-6, 2010, we are calling for contributions to the session:

“Antarctic Climate and South America: linking the past and present record” (Theme I - Session 6).

This session is dedicated to explore climatic and paleoclimatic links between the Antarctic Peninsula and South America as reflected by instrumental and proxy data, ice mass changes, climatic variability and computed models. For the last decade, the Antarctic Peninsula has received great attention due to the relatively fast climatic and glaciological changes observed in this specific area. More recently, evidence for connections between these changes and processes elsewhere in the Southern Hemisphere has accumulated, for example the impact of the Southern Annular Mode (SAM) on temperature and precipitation variability in South America. Furthermore, it is known that air masses originating in the Antarctic Peninsula area may reach and have their impact as far north as the southern Amazon forest region. This session aims towards examining these connections and mechanisms.

We hope this will be a great opportunity to discuss latest results and explore a broad range of aspects concerning the links between Antarctic and South American climate.

We invite contributions on both climate and paleoclimate modelling and observational studies. We particularly encourage submissions from graduate and post-graduate students.

The deadline for abstract submission has been extended to April 15th, 2010, and information on the electronic abstract submission is available at the conference webpage:

(http://www.dna.gov.ar/scar2010.htm).

We are looking forward to an interesting session with plenty of contributions.

Please spread this information among your colleagues and group contacts. Apologies for any cross-postings.

Best regards,

Jefferson Cardia Simões
Stefan Kraus

*********