Call for input into a new initiative: Realistic Ice-sheet/ocean State Estimates (RISE)

Call for input into a new initiative: Realistic Ice-sheet/ocean State Estimates (RISE)

Eva Cougnon
Call for input into a new initiative: Realistic Ice-sheet/ocean State
Estimates (RISE)

Dear Cryolist,

We would like to announce a new initiative called Realistic
Ice-sheet/ocean State Estimates (RISE), and we are calling for
contributions from the international community.

Our initial activity will focus on comparing circum-Antarctic ocean
model results with each other and evaluating them with observations. Our
hope is that by doing this we will be able to provide improved
constraints on both observed and projected contributions to sea level
from the Antarctic Ice Sheet.

We welcome the following input:
Circum-Antarctic ocean/ice-shelf model output with estimates of
ice-shelf basal melt rates for all Antarctic ice shelves
In-situ measurements and satellite estimates of ice and ocean
conditions, including Antarctic ice shelf basal melt rates

RISE is presently supported under the CliC-MISOMIP targeted activity,
has recently been endorsed by SOOS
(http://soos.aq/news/current-news/383-realistic-ice-shelf-ocean-state-estimates-rise-international-collaboration-with-soos),
and most recently by both the IUGG IACS and IAPSO communities.

Please, contact us by the end of November if you wish to contribute or
have any questions.

Kind regards,

Eva Cougnon (primary contact: [hidden email])
Ben Galton-Fenzi ([hidden email])

RISE steering committee:
Ben Galton-Fenzi (Australian Antarctic Division)
Helen Amanda Fricker (Scripps Institution of Oceanography)
David Holland (New York University)
Keith Nicholls (British Antarctic Survey)
Hélène Seroussi (Caltech’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory)

Analysis group:
Wilma Huneke | Antarctic Gateway Partnership, University of Tasmania
David E. Gwyther |  Antarctic Gateway Partnership, University of Tasmania
Eva A. Cougnon  | Antarctic Gateway Partnership, University of Tasmania