Quantcast

Call for papers:"Evaluation and quality assurance of climate services – Methods, criteria and pitfalls" at EMS 2016 (Trieste, Italy)

Call for papers:"Evaluation and quality assurance of climate services – Methods, criteria and pitfalls" at EMS 2016 (Trieste, Italy)

Klaus Grosfeld-2
Dear colleagues,

the 16th Annual Meeting of the European Meteorological Society (EMS) and the 11th European Conference on Applied Climatology (ECAC) will take place 12–16 September 2016 in Trieste, Italy.
The conference theme is “Where atmosphere, sea and land meet: bridging between sciences, applications and stakeholders”. The conference web site is http://ems2016.eu.

We herewith draw your attention especially to the
Session SE6/CE9 "Evaluation and quality assurance of climate services – Methods, criteria and pitfalls" (co-organized)
Convener: Dr. Insa Meinke (HZG).
Co-Conveners: Dr. Klaus Grosfeld (AWI), Dr. Irene Fischer-Bruns (GERICS)
accessible at: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EMS2016/session/22368

In this session we invite contributions on the evaluation of climate service practices and related information products:
- How can the success of climate services and related products be evaluated?
- How should quality and ethical standards be considered in various regional contexts?
- How can quality of information for decision making be assured?
- What are possible criteria and methods related to such evaluation processes?
- Which kind of evaluation has worked well and why?
- Where are the pitfalls and possible misinterpretations?

Other leading questions may focus on the evaluation of particular communication formats like e.g. climate service networks, public events, transdisciplinary stakeholder dialogues, tailored information formats, capacity building and direct inquiries to climate service institutions. Our focus in this session is mainly on a) climate services and related products, b) decision relevant information on multi-decadal timescales and c) adaptation measures and risk governance. However, examples regarding seasonal to decadal time scales are also welcome.

We look forward to receiving your contributions. Deadline for abstract submission is 21 April 2016.
You are welcome to forward this information to anyone who might be interested to participate and contribute to this session.

Best regards,

Insa Meinke,
Klaus Grosfeld,
Irene Fischer-Bruns

Dr. Klaus Grosfeld
Alfred-Wegener-Institute
Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research
Postfach 120161
27515 Bremerhaven
GERMANY

e-mail:
[hidden email][hidden email]
Phone: ++49  0 471 - 4831 - 1765

Alfred Wegener Institute:
http://www.awi.de
Paleo Climate Dynamics:
http://www.awi.de/en/go/paleo
REKLIM:
http://reklim.de
ESSReS:
http://www.earth-system-science.org

Call for papers:"Evaluation and quality assurance of climate services – Methods, criteria and pitfalls" at EMS 2017 (Dublin, Ireland)

Klaus Grosfeld-2

Dear colleagues,

the EMS Annual Meeting: European Conference for Applied Meteorology and Climatology will be held from 4–8 September 2017 in Dublin, Ireland.
The conference theme is “Serving Society with better Weather and Climate Information”. The conference web site is http://ems2017.eu.

We herewith draw your attention especially to the
Session ES1.4 "Evaluation and quality assurance of climate services – Methods, criteria and pitfalls"
Convener: Dr. Insa Meinke (HZG).
Co-Conveners: Dr. Klaus Grosfeld (AWI), Dr. Irene Fischer-Bruns (GERICS)
accessible at: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EMS2017/sessionprogramme

In this session we invite contributions on the assurance of quality as well as on evaluation of climate service practices and related information products. Experiences on unsuccessful processes and sharing of failures are highly appreciated to be discussed in this session, as we can learn from mistakes and avoid common pitfalls in the future.

Possible questions to be addressed are:

- What are appropriate quality criteria in terms of products and processes of climate services?

- What are the right evaluation tools along the process from the idea to the final product/service?

- How can a culture of "sharing failures" be enhanced?

- How can economic valuation be part of the evaluation process?

- Do we need common standards to ease the process of climate service evaluation?

- How can quality of information for decision making be assured?

- Which kind of evaluation has worked well and why?

Other leading questions may focus on the evaluation of particular communication formats like e.g. climate service networks, public events, transdisciplinary stakeholder dialogues, tailored information formats, capacity building and direct inquiries to climate service institutions.

Our focus in this session is mainly on a) climate services and related products, b) decision relevant information on multi-decadal timescales and c)adaptation measures and risk governance. However, examples regarding seasonal to decadal time scales are also welcome.

We look forward to receiving your contributions. Deadline for abstract submission is 21 April 2017.