Continued glacier mass loss in 2015 and 2016

Continued glacier mass loss in 2015 and 2016

World Glacier Monitoring Service
Dear CRYOLIST-subscribers,

Based on last year’s call-for-data we can announce that the glaciers
around the globe are reported to continue losing mass at very high rates.
For the observation period 2014/15, the average annual mass balance of the
observed glaciers was -1.1 m w.e. This is already the fourth year since
the turn of the century in which the average ice loss exceeds 1 m w.e.;
and this in spite of positive balances reported from Norway, Iceland,
Greenland, as well as from New Zealand and Sub Antarctic Islands.

Preliminary estimates from the near-time reporting indicate that the mass
loss for 2015/16 was also very negative with -0.9 m w.e.

On our website you find the reported data for 2013/14, 2014/15, and
2015/16, including some basic statistics and figures:
http://wgms.ch/latest-glacier-mass-balance-data/

The near-time reporting is based on preliminary mass balance estimates
from the WGMS ‘reference’ glaciers with more than 30 years of ongoing
observations: http://wgms.ch/products_ref_glaciers/

Based on the received data we are producing the 2nd issue of the Global
Glacier Change Bulletin (2014-2015) which will be published end of this
year.

Our work relies on the cooperation and help of many scientists and
observers throughout the world. We highly appreciate their long lasting
contribution in collaboration with our National Correspondents, who are
coordinating the data collection in their country for submission to the
WGMS.

Sincerely yours,

Michael Zemp and collaborators of the WGMS

+ + + +

World Glacier Monitoring Service (WGMS)
Department of Geography
University of Zurich