EGU 2011 - CR11.20. Ice deposits in caves: formation, evolution and climate-environment assessment

EGU 2011 - CR11.20. Ice deposits in caves: formation, evolution and climate-environment assessment

valter.maggi@unimib.it

*MESSAGE FROM EGU General Assembly 2011 Programme Committee Chair:

Due to extensive requests from authors and conveners who are just
returning today from holidays, we have extended by ONE DAY the ABSTRACT
DEADLINE for submission of abstracts to the European Geosciences Union
General Assembly 2011 (EGU2011).
The extended deadline for the EGU2011 is Tuesday, 11 January 2011
(24:00, GMT).
*

So, we have one day more!!!!

During the next EGU  General in April 2011 assembly is planned about ice
caves
(http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2011/session/7064/). It is
the  first time that ice caves will be presented to a wider audience
than in our IWIC (International Workshop on Ice Caves) and
Speleomeetings, so this is a great chance for us all to present the
potential of ice cave research also to scientists, who are not involved
in this field of research yet. During our last IWIC meetings we agreed
on how important international and interdisciplinary collaborations are
for our future work. This is an opportunity to go the next step.

Therefore we would like to encourage you to submit an abstract,
participate in the session and present your work to the audience in Vienna!
Please note, the deadline for abstract submission is posponed the 11
January 2011.  Session details are bellow.

Yours,
Valter, Aurel and Christiane.

CR11.20
Ice deposits in caves: formation, evolution and climate-environment
assessment

Convener: Valter Maggi
Co-Conveners: Aurel Persoiu, Christiane Grebe

Ice cave deposits, located inside karstic systems, represent a new
challenge for glaciologists, speleologists and (paleo-)climatologists
and   other related sciences. The formation and evolution of ice in
caves   follows the forcing of the external environment, both as a
source of  water  and snow, and the local climates which induces a
specific cave  climate,  favorable for the accumulation and preservation
of ice. Located  also at  low altitudes, in areas where both alpine
glaciers and ice caps  are  missing, perennial ice deposits in caves
could be important archives  of  climatic and environmental
informations. In Austria, Slovak Republic,   Romania, Russia and other
countries, these ice caves, as show caves,   represent also an important
economic resource for the local community.  The  aim of this session is
to bring together research results, new  approaches  and ideas that will
help shaping the future development of ice  caves  research and to
discuss the multidisciplinary potential of ice  cave  research with
interested scientists. Papers on ice genesis and  dynamics,  ice caves
climate, paleoclimatic reconstructions using ice in  caves as  sources
of data, as well as ice caves management are welcomed.

Valter Maggi, Aurel Persoiu and Christiane Grebe

Valter Maggi
Professore Associato PhD
Dip. di Scienze dell'Ambiente e  del Territorio
Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca

Enviromental Sciences Dept.
University of Milano Bicocca

Piazza della Scienza, 1
20126 - Milano Italy