EGU 2012 - GM2.1 'Digital Landscapes'

John Hillier
Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce GM 2.1 the ‘Digital Landscapes’ session at EGU2013 (Vienna, 8-12 April 2013). Following a successful session last year, we look forward to seeing you at another dynamic and diverse session full of interesting ideas.

> GM 2.1 Digital Landscapes: Quantitative Interrogation and Use to Examine Geomorphic Processes

This inter-disciplinary session focuses on exciting quantitative uses of digital landscapes (DEM, DTM, DSM or point-cloud) to understand how the Earth’s surface is shaped.  Global (e.g. ASTER) to high-resolution (e.g. laser scanning, structure-through-motion) data sets are welcomed as we believe developments will come through cross-fertilization of best practice and interesting method of analysis.  Possibilities (e.g. repeat surveys, real-time observation), problems (e.g. awkward case studies), solutions and interesting geomorphic uses from mass-wasting to volcano formation are encouraged.

A full description of the session can be found at
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2013/session/11694

Deadline for Receipt of Abstracts: 9 January 2013
Deadline for Support: 30 Nov 2012

All the best

John, Paola, Susan, Paolo and David
(conveners)

p.s – Full session description below

GM2.1 Digital Landscapes: Quantitative Interrogation and Use to Examine Geomorphic Processes

This inter-disciplinary session will highlight developments driving innovation in the exciting uses of digital landscapes (DEM, DTM, or DSM) of the Earth, seafloor or planetary terrains. It aims to bring together ‘users’ analysing digital landscapes to exhibit the best quantitative methods and computational techniques, cross-fertilize best practice, and illustrate what can be achieved and what challenges remain. Possibilities (e.g. innovations), problems (e.g. awkward case studies), solutions and interesting geomorphic uses are encouraged.

We believe that objective, robust and reproducible quantitative methods underpin our ability to unlock the potential wealth of new insights into geomorphic processes recorded in DEMs.

Much interest is expected in high-resolution DEMs, but any data source (e.g. laser scanning, SAR, photogrammetry, structure through motion, satellite-derived) is welcome.  Fusion between topographic data and other measurements is in scope.

In geomorphic processes we include both natural processes and those creating a human fingerprint in the landscape. Features identified or parameterised could include volcanoes, craters, gullies, fault scarps, drumlins, or those reflecting anthropogenic disturbances such as deforestation, new urban areas, or land-use change. Natural processes constrained could range from mass-wasting to volcano formation, and from flooding to sedimentary deposition.

We encourage early stage researchers to present their studies