EGU 2020, CR2.1: Geophysical and in-situ methods for snow and ice studies

EGU 2020, CR2.1: Geophysical and in-situ methods for snow and ice studies

Franziska Koch

Dear Colleagues,

We will once again run our exciting and cross-disciplinary EGU session "Geophysical and in-situ methods for ice and snow studies (CR2.1/HS1.1/SM4)" and would like to invite you to submit to this session and continue the lively and fruitful presentations and discussions we had last year!

We welcome contributions from all areas of snow and ice studies (from permafrost to glaciers, snowpack, ice sheets…) using a geophysical or in-situ method. It is an interactive PICO session - a perfect format for inspiring and informal scientific discussions. For more information and abstract submission, please click on the following link and see the abstract below: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/34939

We hope to see you at our session in May,

Franziska Koch, Nanna Bjørnholt Karlsson, Kristina Keating and Emma C. Smith

Abstract

Geophysical measurements offer important baseline datasets as well as validation for modelling and remote sensing products for cryospheric sciences. Applications include the dynamics of ice-sheets, alpine glaciers and sea ice, changes in snow cover properties of seasonal and permanent snow, snow/ice-atmosphere-ocean interactions, permafrost degradation, geomorphic processes and changes in subsurface materials.

In this session we welcome contributions related to a wide spectrum of geophysical- and in-situ methods, including advances in diverse techniques such as radioglaciology, active and passive seismology, acoustic sounding, GPS/GNSS reflectometry or time delay techniques, cosmic ray neutron sensing, drone applications, geoelectrics and NMR. Contributions may concern field applications as well as new approaches in geophysical/in-situ survey techniques or theoretical advances in the field of data analysis, processing or inversion. Case studies from all parts of the cryosphere such as snow, alpine glaciers, ice sheets, glacial and periglacial environments and sea ice are highly welcome. The focus of the session is to compare experiences in the application, processing, analysis and interpretation of different geophysical and in-situ techniques in these highly complex environments.

This session is offered as a PICO: an engaging presentation format that has been successfully tested for this session during the last three years at EGU. All selected contributions will present their research orally, and then further present their research using interactive screens. This results in rich scientific feedback and is an effective tool for communicating science with high visibility.

Franziska Koch
Postdoctoral Scientist
Institute for Hydrology and Water Management (HyWa)
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU), Vienna
Muthgasse 18
A-1190 Vienna
Tel: +43 1 476548161

Last call - EGU 2020, CR2.1: Geophysical and in-situ methods for snow and ice studies

Franziska Koch

Dear Colleagues,

The deadline for the EGU abstract submission is approaching very fast (15 January 2019, 13:00 CET). If you are still not sure where to submit, we would like to cordially invite you to submit to our exciting and cross-disciplinary EGU session "Geophysical and in-situ methods for ice and snow studies (CR2.1/HS1.1/SM4) and to continue the lively and fruitful presentations and discussions we had last year. We welcome contributions from all areas of snow and ice studies (from permafrost to glaciers, snowpack, ice sheets…) using a geophysical or in-situ method. It is an interactive PICO session - a perfect format for inspiring and informal scientific discussions. For more information and abstract submission, please click on the following link and see the abstract below: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/34939

[...]

**EGU 2021, CR2.4: Geophysical and in-situ methods for snow and ice studies**

Franziska Koch
Dear Colleagues,

We will be running our exciting and cross-disciplinary EGU session "Geophysical and in-situ methods for ice and snow studies (CR2.4/GI4/HS1.1/SM2)” for the EGU 2021 online meeting. We would like to invite you to submit to this session and continue the lively and fruitful presentations and discussions we have had for the last few years. We welcome contributions using a geophysical or in-situ method to investigate all areas of snow and ice - permafrost, ice sheets, sea ice, glaciers and more!

Our invited talk this year will be by *Amy Macfarlane* from the WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research SLF, Switzerland :

"Quasi in-situ snow and sea ice interface microstructure measured by micro-computed tomography” - Amy Macfarlane

For more information, please see the following link and the abstract below:

We hope to see you in virtual Vienna!

Franziska Koch, Polona Itkin, Kristina Keating, and Emma C. Smith

**Abstract**

Geophysical and in-situ measurements of the cryosphere offer important baseline datasets, as well as validation for modelling and remote sensing products. In this session we welcome contributions related to a wide spectrum of methods, including, but not limited to radioglaciology, active and passive seismology, acoustic sounding, Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) reflectometry or time delay techniques, cosmic ray neutron sensing, remotely operated vehicle (ROV) or drone applications, geoelectrics, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and methods in radiative transfer (i.e. infrared photography, thermal sounding…).

Contributions could be related to field applications, new approaches in geophysical or in-situ survey techniques, or theoretical advances in data analysis processing or inversion. Case studies from all parts of the cryosphere such as snow and firn, alpine glaciers, ice sheets, glacial and periglacial environments, permafrost, or sea ice, are highly welcome. The focus of the session is to compare experiences in the application, processing, analysis and interpretation of different geophysical and in-situ techniques in these highly complex environments.

This session is offered as a hybrid PICO session, meaning it will allow physical and remote contributions - which we hope will increase the accessibility of this session to a wider range of presenters. The PICO format has proved to be an engaging presentation format for this session in previous years. The session begins with each presenter giving a “quick fire” overview of their research orally, followed by time to discuss and further present their research using interactive screens. This results in rich scientific feedback and is an effective tool for communicating science with high visibility.

Franziska Koch
Postdoctoral Scientist
Institute for Hydrology and Water Management (HyWa)
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU), Vienna
Muthgasse 18
A-1190 Vienna
Tel: +43 1 476548161

**vEGU21, CR2.4: Geophysical and in-situ methods for snow and ice studies** - Deadline is approaching soon

Franziska Koch
Dear Colleagues,

8 days left to submit your abstract - we are looking forward to your contribution in our session.

We will be running our exciting and cross-disciplinary EGU session "Geophysical and in-situ methods for ice and snow studies (CR2.4/GI4/HS1.1/SM2)” for the vEGU21 online meeting. We would like to invite you to submit to this session and continue the lively and fruitful presentations and discussions we have had for the last few years. We welcome contributions using a geophysical or in-situ method to investigate all areas of snow and ice - permafrost, ice sheets, sea ice, glaciers and more!

Our invited talk this year will be by *Amy Macfarlane* from the WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research SLF, Switzerland :
"Quasi in-situ snow and sea ice interface microstructure measured by micro-computed tomography” - Amy Macfarlane

For more information, please see the following link and the abstract below: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU21/session/39043

We hope to see you in virtual Vienna!

Franziska Koch (BOKU Vienna), Polona Itkin (The Arctic University of Norway), Kristina Keating (Rutgers University), and Emma C. Smith (University of Leeds)