EGU 2020 session on "Using Earth system science to understand climate change and its impacts"

EGU 2020 session on "Using Earth system science to understand climate change and its impacts"

Emilie Capron

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the upcoming European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly (May 3-8, 2020) with our session named "Using Earth system science to understand climate change and its impacts: Results of the Franco-German “Make Our Planet Great Again” research initiative and beyond"

Although this session will showcase results from the Franco-German “Make Our Planet Great Again” initiative, we also very much welcome abstracts from colleagues outside this project and who are providing new insights into the mechanisms of past, present and future climate changes and the associated impacts on the oceans, the cryosphere, coastal regions, and terrestrial systems. Innovative research contributions that can lead towards the ultimate goals of the Paris Agreement ranging from basic research to solution-oriented research are also encouraged.

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/36746

Convener: Henry Wu | Co-conveners: Gayane Asatryan, Emilie Capron

At the 2015 Paris COP21 climate conference, 195 countries committed to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and make efforts to significantly limit man-made global warming to below 2°C above pre-industrial levels. France and Germany joined forces in this fight against global warming by creating the “Make Our Planet Great Again” research initiative covering research in Earth system science that aims to better understand climate change and its impacts on natural and socio-economic systems. In this interdisciplinary session, we welcome data- and model-based research undertaken within, but also outside this international initiative, that provides new insights into the mechanisms of past, present and future climate changes and the associated impacts on the oceans, the cryosphere, coastal regions, and terrestrial systems. Innovative research contributions that can lead towards the ultimate goals of the Paris Agreement ranging from basic research to solution-oriented research are also encouraged.

The abstract submission deadline is 15th January, 2020, 13:00 CET, though those seeking financial support for attendance should submit their abstract by 1st December.

All the best,

Henry Wu, Gayane Asatryan, Emilie Capron.