EGU 2021 Session: Mobilization of permafrost material to aquatic systems and its biogeochemical fate

EGU 2021 Session: Mobilization of permafrost material to aquatic systems and its biogeochemical fate

Birgit Wild

Dear colleagues,

we want to invite you to the EGU 2021 session “Mobilization of permafrost material to aquatic systems and its biogeochemical fate”.

We all hoped that 2021 would be the year where we can meet again in person, but it seems that we have to wait longer: The EGU 2021 will take place in a virtual format. Nevertheless, this should not keep us from sharing and discussing our research! And maybe the online format provides a wider range of researchers with the opportunity to participate in the conference.

The call for abstracts is now open and deadline for submission is 13th January 2021, 13:00 CET.

Conveners: Birgit Wild, Lisa Bröder, Örjan Gustafsson

Session description: BG1.6 (co-organized by CR6/HS13/SSS5)

Wide-spread permafrost thaw is expected to amplify the release of previously frozen material from terrestrial into aquatic systems: rivers, lakes, groundwater and oceans. Current projections include changes in precipitation patterns, active layer drainage and leaching, increased thermokarst lake formation, as well as increased coastal and river bank erosion that are further enhanced by rising water temperatures, river discharge and wave action. In addition, subsea permafrost that formed under terrestrial conditions but was later inundated might be rapidly thawing on Arctic Ocean shelves. These processes are expected to substantially alter the biogeochemical cycling of carbon but also of other elements in the permafrost area.

This session invites contributions on the mobilization of terrestrial matter to aquatic systems in the permafrost domain, as well as its transport, degradation and potential interaction with autochthonous, aquatic matter. We encourage submissions focusing on organic and inorganic carbon as well as on other elements such as nitrogen, phosphorus, silica, iron, mercury and others, from all parts of the global permafrost area including mountain, inland, coastal and subsea permafrost, on all spatial scales, in the contemporary system but also in the past and future, based on field, laboratory and modelling work.

More information and abstract submission:  https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU21/session/38801

We hope for abstracts from a wide range of topics within this area and for good discussions!

On behalf of all conveners,

Birgit Wild

--
Mag. Dr. Birgit Wild, Assistant Professor
Stockholm University